Monday 28 August 2017

Black Grape - It's great when you're straight...Yeah!

Album Choice:- I remember listening to this album on my way to the 80 Mile World Trail Running Championships on the South Downs in June 1996. Yes, they were the 'World Championships' back then masterminded by the famous Harry Townsend. I'd loved the Happy Mondays, and Black Grape was a great progression in my opinion, that sadly only lasted another album.

As far as the race went, I must admit to feeling a little apprehensive on the start line as the only person I knew who'd previously taken part said that he'd wanted to 'lie down and die at half-way'. I got to the 40 milepoint in 8hrs quite nicely and went onto finish in 16hrs 43mins and claim a 134th place  and a World Ranking which I've always been proud of.

There was something most special about being burned to a frazzle on one of the most picturesque National Trails that the UK in has to offer as well as heading into the night to complete the race in the dark on some tricky descents down into a spectacular finish at Eastbourne.

It was also  the day I learned that running in Speedos would have been a much better idea than shorts with a liner if you didn't want to finish an ULTRA running like a cowboy that's lost his horse and also that you should take on board what folks say that have been where it is that you want to go, but not to take it as gospel.

I also found out that 80 miles wasn't my operational ceiling and that I'd have to find another goal to seek out my 'Limit of Human Endurance'. It must have been a brilliant experience though as I ran the race the following year and again in a slightly shorter 100km version in 2002 where in a team of four, we won the now famous Trailwalker Event organised by the Gurkas and Oxfam.

Over the years, as a person and a runner, I've found pushing myself and my barriers has led to much of my inner happiness and I've found out who I really am I believe. If you are searching like I was all those years ago, I'm not suggesting that you need to go and run an 80 mile Ultra-marathon but it might be worth trying to find some space where you can assess your direction, make plans and assess you are going.

Back in 1994, I felt very lost and yet in a short space of time I felt invincible all from a 'Bit of Running'. I believe the Reverend Black Grape got it right preaching at the time, 'It's great when you're straight...Yeah!

It makes a huge difference when you are not looking at life through a fog.

You can hear me preaching my gospel on BBC Five Live at 11.30am tomorrow btw.

Amen.

Rory Coleman - 998 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,636 Days' Alcohol Free - 484 Days' post GBS
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment