Thursday 10 May 2018

Changes - David Bowie

CHANGE isn't A-MAZE, it's A-MAZE-ing...
Taken from the 1971 Album ‘Hunky Dory’, the lyrics of ‘Changes’ are often seen as a manifesto for Bowie’s chameleonic personality and for the frequent changes in the world he was living in back then. Some 45 years later, and ‘Bowie’s World of Change’ is now travelling at warp-speed towards the 2020’s where no doubt, things will ‘Change’ at an even more alarming rate. Keeping up with those ‘Changes’ are key to a successful future and something to put into practise rather than just to consider from time-to-time and remain unacted on ‘If Onlys’.

I still don't know what I was waiting for, and my time was running wild…

So why is it that we stand still hoping that things will magically change for the better? I mean, what isit you are waiting for? It’s tragic but we all do it, and there isn’t a ‘Magic Bus to Success’ passing right by your particular door at a time that suits just you in the near future which will follow the optimum route to take you to your own perfect Utopia in double quick time. Don’t even bother waiting because I’m telling you, it ain’t coming not today, not tomorrow, not EVER in fact. Sure, it’s time for a ‘Change’, for you to ‘Change’ perhaps and it’s a lot easier than you think, if you make a plan and start becoming the ‘Master of your own Destiny’.

A million dead-end streets, and every time I thought I'd got it made…

Bowie is SO right here and there’s nothing worse than heading down ‘A million dead-end streets’. It’s only human nature after a while to just give up and let ‘Life’ take the lead instead of ‘You leading your Life’. It’s such a waste of time isn’t it – a million hours, one for each dead-end street is much longer than a lifetime of 79 years (average age we live for and only 692,040 hours – I’ve checked) and what we need to do is to reduce the number of dead-end streets by taking charge.

Being in charge of your own ‘Change’ saves a wasted lifetime of ‘Fuzzy-Logic’ dead-end streets where you think you’ve got it made – I know, I have many such T-Shirts. Having a plan, is like being a maze knowing exactly where to turn left and right and where the centre is and hugely empowering and calming. I feel both of those right now.

It seemed the taste was not so sweet, so I turned myself to face me…

We spend so much of our lives worrying about things that are out of our control or wondering what other people will think that we waste our waking hours and energy procrastinating rather than looking deep into our inner-selves and facing up to our demons. Forging the way ahead with the knowledge of who you really are, with a route to success and a time-line of ‘Change’ in place is the way forward.

But I've never caught a glimpse, of how the others must see the faker…

Question – Do you believe in YOU? It’s a tricky one to answer perhaps and most days there are stories of people being caught out by their ‘Private Lives’ catching up with them. Royalty, MP’s and Celebrities are the easy targets to catch out as ‘Fakers’ but what is it that you are ‘Faking’ today? Are you living up to the expectations and standards you expect in other people? It’s a question I ask of myself everyday as I reach out to others facing up to their demons and planning a brighter future.

I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream…

I love that lyric and ‘Change’ is more about diving in and making waves rather than rippling the water and never leaving the stream you are in right now. Having ‘Mastered my own Change’ many times over I know just how much effort and courage it can take to ‘Change’ relationships, jobs, habits and even addictions. Just believe me that it’s worth it in the long run. Finding the space to ‘Change’ is the tough part of the equation or the spark that ignites the desire – In short, just leave your stream and explore the world around you – it’s super-exciting.

So, the days float through my eyes, but still the days seem the same…

More Questions - Are you a FLOATER? Are you DRIFTING? Do all your days seem SAME? Where are you GOING? What are you DOING about making that CHANGE? Have you any answers? Are you ashamed of yourself.

Where's your shame, time may change me, but I can't trace time…

I am, I’m ashamed of the time I wasted waiting for ‘Change’ to happen and make my life complete. And unlike Bowie’s lyrics ‘Time didn’t Change me’ – I did. I made the ‘Change’ and I know exactly when that was, and you do too, if you know me well. 

So over to you, and do you know when you are going to ‘Change’ your chameleonic personality - is it Today, Tomorrow or will it be a disappointing Never – I’d love to know and would love to be part of the journey with you.

1,016 Marathons - 246 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment