Thursday 27 December 2018

Shine - Years and Years

Don't you feel that hunger, I've got so many secrets to show
Don't you hear that rhythm, can you show me how we can escape…

I find the Christmas period provides a great ‘Time-Out’ for thought and reflection, not only of the year that’s nearly all but passed by, but of the one that lies ahead. Being ‘Parked-Up’ from our busy everyday existences gives us that time and space to consider our very existence, especially spending so much time over the festive period with the people that are the closest to us – our families. I personally find that my greatest and most successful plans and decisions have been made around ‘Christmas-Time’ and the ‘New Year’ as that's where and when my values have been affected most.

I was biting my tongue, I was trying to hide
I'll forget what I've done, I'll be redefined…

I love the freshness that a ‘New Year’ can offer - I mean I’m the original ‘New Year’s Resolution Man’. It’s a clean slate with 365 opportunities to ‘Shine’ and ‘Redefine’ – there’s nothing more appealing IMO. In just a few short weeks most dreams, ambitions and goals can be achieved. By the time the clocks go forward in March most obsessions, addictions and poor behavioural traits could be dots in your rear-view mirror. By the Summer, it’s possible to have a body that you are happy to show off on holiday rather than hide – it’s all about redefining your future and the values to which you are going to live by in the future.

It's shaking the sky, and I'm following lightning
I'll recover if you keep me alive, don't leave me behind…

As for Feeling ‘Left Behind’, it’s all too common I’m afraid and far too easy to feel – hence becoming a ‘Victim’ is an easy trap to fall into. Reaching out – well that’s a lot harder and not everyone wants the ‘Sky to Shake’ or ‘Follow Lightning’ – they just want to feel more positive about themselves and live a longer and happier existence, they just don’t know or don’t have the energy to go about making it happen.

You know that you make it shine, it's you that I've been waiting to find
Now that we can hear that sound, now that you can hold me down…

I’d love to take the credit for the amazing ‘Changes’ I witness in the folk that I coach, but I believe ‘Change’ only comes from within. Even I can’t project ‘Desire’ – My main message to anyone is ‘Opportunity’. How folk can redirect their energy, be honest to themselves and match their desire to their ability – and simply go out and ‘Enjoy’ life a whole lot more without camouflaging their inner worlds with a heap of non-important life-bullshit. Getting lost in that lot can be very messy indeed and a guiding hand out of the heap works wonders in my experience. Having been there myself, I know how much it stinks.

You can raise everything to the ground, everything I can arrange,
Every part of me you change, just hold me together, tell me…

It’s all about being ‘STRONG’ you see. Feeling ‘STRONG’, staying ‘STRONG’ and remaining ‘STRONG’ and true to yourself. Living life to a set of values you know are true and that will deliver the happiness you are searching for, that feels so far out of reach right now. For some that happiness will come from finally being free from Alcohol – or like me accomplishing yet another year of Alcohol Freedom. For others it could be realising a life-long ambition or feat. The common thread I find, is that the folk I work with find themselves. 

The real person that’s been staring them in the face, the one they’ve hated, the one they’ve been ignoring – the one that they get to love again.

The one that ‘Shines’ and can light up a room.

Can you see me I'm shining
And it's you that I've been waiting to find…

Have a listen to ‘Shine’ from Years and Years. Listen to the lyrics and see if they speak to you as they speak to me as we head into 2019 – there’s 365 opportunities to ‘Shine’ and make things happen – don’t waste another minute not doing anything about it.

1,029 Lifetime Marathons, 250 ULTRA-marathons9 Guinness World Records & 15 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment