Monday 30 November 2020

Time - The Pink Floyd

‘Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time’ - Wright

There’s never a right time or enough time is there? Our understanding of ‘Time’ goes back to the beginnings of the human race. Primeval man divided our annual solar transit into seasons by cleverly building one of the first timepieces at Stonehenge in around 3000bc, which remarkably still keeps perfect ‘time’ to this day. 

 

Of course there were more hourly timepieces invented over the centuries which have become far more accurate. In Victorian times, actually knowing the time had a value as timepieces were so few and far between - people actually paid find out what time it was, well before the ‘Speaking Clock’ (whose days must be numbered)… 

 

People use their phones as watches nowadays and I imagine that there must be an hourly global surge of energy as mobile phones the world over alarm their owners it’s ‘time’ to get up. I know I do…

 

Our fascination for ‘time’ and it’s accuracy has led to the invention of the Caesium Fountain Atomic Clock that’s so accurate, it misses only a second in every 15 billion years or so - although I’m not sure how you’d actually measure that.

 

Anyway, it’s easy to see how our lives are dominated by ‘Time’. My whole working day is.

 

But there’s hope - according to scientists in 200 million years we will be able to enjoy a 25-hour-day, which I’m sure we’d all welcome as there are never enough hours in the day to fit everything in - ha-ha.

 

For the record - There’s always ‘Time’. We just don’t make ‘Time’.

 

‘Time’ is just a mechanism for us to comprehend our position in ‘Time and Space’. To give us some kind of understanding of the past, the present and the future. Maybe it’s something we contemplate the older we get.

 

That’s why I find wasting ‘Time’ as being a crime and being ‘Bored’ unfathomable as I can’t ever think of a ‘Time’ when I’m personally not busy. But then I might be just as guilty for never taking a ‘Time’ out for contemplation or reflection - you could say that?

 

I do know I’ve made pretty good use of my ‘Time’ so far and will endeavour to keep valuing every second I get - how’s your ‘Time’ management?


1,072 Marathons - 255 Ultras - 9 Guinness World Records - 15 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment