Monday 10 March 2014

Forty - U2

'And made my footsteps firm' - Clayton, Evans, Hewson & Mullen

There were lots of many firm footprints for me yesterday as I circled the 400 metre track at Barry's Jenner Park Stadium some 161 times to complete the Barry 40 mile track race and put Mick McGeoch's challenge to me firmly to bed.

Funnily enough and contrary to anyone's misconceptions that I don't like laps or lakes I never had any negative thoughts about the race and I'd completely bought into the 40 some 12 weeks ago when I started my training towards it. You don't spend hours and hours and hours on treadmills, like I have, without a goal in mind and it's been my main focus of this year's winter training for me.

My 6hrs and 19mins won't go down in any record books, apart from Mick's comprehensive results sheet of course but it will reflect the fact that I ran 40 miles at a steady pace, all the way on a very warm spring day. It represents a new 6hr PB for me as well as a 40 mile PB that I set back in 1996.

The best part is that I could run again today and hopefully that's a reflection of my conditioning and not so much that I could have gone faster, which I know I could have.

Maybe it's sub 6 next time! Yikes, did I really type that?

More tomorrow from the funny farm...take me awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy...








No comments:

Post a Comment