Thursday 8 September 2022

Enter Sandman - Metallica


There’s just three weeks to go until I’m back running the 250km Multi-Day ULTRA-X in Jordan. Last year’s race feels like it was only yesterday and the memories of slogging out endless kms of pink sand are starting to make me wonder why on earth I want to go back to subject myself to yet another week of hardship in the desert.

Well, the simple answer is that I NEED to go back and live life. To me life is all about adventure. These are experiences that money simply can’t buy. Sure, money gets you into the race, a seat on the plane and gets you a flashy pair of trainers but all the hard work comes from within.
 
You see I believe we ALL need a goal outside of the humdrum of normal daily life, to motivate and focus on. In times of stress, pressure or illness it really helps. Looking back to when I was hospitalised in July 2016, knowing I’d entered the Marathon des Sables the following April, it provided the daily kick-up-the-arse I needed. I’m sure the thought of returning to the desert got me out of the wheelchair far quicker than it might have without.
 
But then I’m someone that says if I’m going to do something, I bloody well go and do it. I mean what’s the point of being or even worse, living half-arsed? 
 
Giving your everything doesn’t cost you anymore than a that’ll do approach.
 
Truly inspirational explorers or musicians even succeed because of their attention to detail and 100% committed approach to achieving their goal. Therefore, in the desert I will be contemplating how I can align my mindset to those of Fiennes, Gilmour or Gabriel perhaps and see where the next chapter will take me.
 
Time to Enter Sandman…
 
1,136 Marathons - 264 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 GWR - ULTRA-X Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment