Saturday 18 May 2024

Close to the Edge - Yes

'Summertime'...
A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace... 


I wrote this blog back in 2018 but on reading it again, it’s still relevant and imho worth sharing again. Especially as the Summer has finally arrived, however brief, as it’s the perfect time to ‘up-ones-game’ and ‘upgrade-ones-future’. 

 

Sounds easy but for a lot of the folk I meet I’m very much a ‘Last-Chance-Hotel’ and my role is more about finding reverse before we drive on ahead. It’s kinda sad as most problem life issues are avoidable, and taking a fresh outlook on the world takes just a moment to change. 

 

I listened to the ‘Yes’ Prog-rock classic on one of my long car journeys. And it got me thinking about hard-working, decent, intelligent people that are living ‘Close to the Edge’ just to keep their heads above water.

 

I wonder just how many people in the UK are living ‘Close to the Edge’ right now? I bet it’s more than you and I think. For instance, the stats say 2.5 million children are living with 500,000 alcoholic parents and 300,000 people living on our rough on our streets tonight. I hardly need to mention the 1:12 people using illicit drugs or the 1:4 with mental health issues that swell the numbers. Our NHS is on its knees treating alcoholic and obese people.

 

The frightening thing is that some of the people I meet, and coach are part of those stats in one way or another. For that matter, I am and have been part of them too.

 

So why is ‘Life’ and for that matter ‘Living’ so bloody tough? 

 

And take away the plain in which we move

And choose the course you're running…

 

It’s hitting home everywhere right now. As far as I can see, the world is in a kind of ‘out-of-control-free-fall’ with some people holding on for dear life, whilst others are burning the path of no return as they walk headlong down the plank before jumping into the next personal disaster.

 

Down at the edge, round by the corner

Close to the edge, down by a river…

 

My observations and experience of ‘being’ Close to the Edge’ myself have saved a lot of other people from - well – themselves over the years. Being in a life-threatening tight spot doesn’t have to be as dramatic as you’d imagine, it can be unseen, right under your nose. Just look around, turn up the sensitivity on your radar and you’ll find you’re surrounded by a nation of people at breaking point.

 

Getting over all the Time I had to Worry

Leaving all the changes far from far behind…

 

Ah the ‘T’ and ‘W’ words. They’re the bane of modern-day life imho as Time is far too scarce and ‘Worrying’ isn’t far off being an Olympic Sport. 

 

Being ‘Close to the Edge’ back in 1972, when this song was written, lacked the intensity that we are ALL feeling in the 21st Century. Let’s face it, the ‘Pace of Life’ has moved on so fast that most of us aren’t keeping up with it and our inability to constantly upgrade our personal operating systems is only breeding doubt and into our already fuddled minds. 

 

The eyes of honesty can achieve

How many millions do we deceive each day?

 

And so, we bumble on through ‘life’. Conning ourselves and each other that everything’s alright and that we are super-strong and super-tough living in a perfect online world, sharing our lives with anyone that will tune in and listen.

 

The truth is written all along the page

How old will I be before I come of age for you?

 

Over the years, I’ve become tuned into folk that are ‘Close to the Edge’.

 

I get up, I get down…

Finding the ‘Edge’, however brings pain relief and a path out of the depths of despair. I know - I’ve been right to the slimmest of possible ‘Edges’ imaginable. And life isn’t perfect and I’m not perfect, but it’s works for me and I’m happy where I am right now.Probably 90% up and 10% Down if I’m being honest, which isn’t bad – my question is, how ‘Close to the Edge’ are you?

1,186 Marathons - 277 Ultras - 9 GWR - 17 Marathon des Sables - 1 Life

No comments:

Post a Comment