Sunday 6 January 2013

Enter Sandman - Metallica

We (Jenny, Rocky and Me) did a six mile run today with Andy and Paul, two of my MdS 2013 clients today in the sand dunes at Merthyr Mawr. It does bring it home just how hard running in deep sand really is and just how much more training like this is needed over the next 90 days prior to hitting the real thing in Morocco.

This was all done in a very cushy 8 degrees and not the usual 50+ degress that we have to endure each year in Merzougas famous 8 miles of sandy hell.

Doing this run with clients has brought it home to us just how useful this training is to ANYONE running in Morocco as the Big Dipper is the largest single sand-dune in Europe and the Merthyr Mawr is the best simulation there is for what's in store for any MdS Wannabe.

We're going to combine this with a mountain running day around Pen-y-Fan (at 886m, it's on a par with the Jebels in Morocco)on March 2nd and 3rd. I'll be updating my website with the details this week on how to get involved in this specific MdS Training that will be so useful for those who want to see just what it's like to lug a pack over some terrain that's a lot harsher than their local park can supply.

If you are interested, as some of you have already have, please let me know. I'll be going back as much as I can for more of the same as I need to get my time in on the sand as much as possible.

More tomorrow... after another 26.2 miles on yet another MdS Day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment