Thursday 19 October 2017

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - The Beatles

Peter Snell - Gold at Tokyo in 1964
'Picture yourself' - Lennon & McCartney

The success of athletes using my bespoke 12-Week Training Plans, speak for themselves. I’m seeing improvements of up to 15% in Marathon PB’s and times of 3.40 being slashed to less than 3:10 which are remarkable. In just under 12 months, following my programmes, one of my clients who was a regular 3.29 runner now runs consistently under 3hrs and recently set a PB very close to the 2.45 mark. Until being Coached, none of these people knew what they were capable of and it’s amazing just how much they’ve improved as soon as a structured training programme was set out for them to follow.

A percentage of the improvements come from the Positive Mental Attitude (PMA) that I project, especially the fact that I believe that EVERYONE can be elite and can achieve far more when pushed but also from a great deal of LSD.

No, not from ‘Lysergic Acid Diethylamide’ the psychedelic drug that in the ‘50s, officials at the CIA thought might be useful for mind control and chemical warfare… (my how times have changed) - No, from ‘Long Slow Distance’ running.

Long Slow Distance running (LSD) is the form of aerobic endurance training that I used right from the start of my own running career and has been the backbone of my coaching ethos this past 10 years.

The physiological adaptations that come from LSD training are improved blood volume, increased muscle strength, prolonged endurance and higher aerobic fitness. Ernst van Aaken, the German physician and coach, is generally recognized as the founder of the Long Slow Distance running method of endurance training but I put my own success down to hearing about the great New Zealand Coach, Arthur Lydiard, from my own coach and mentor John Martin, who famously ran his athlete Peter Snell 200 miles a week in training before tapering him down over a four-week period to Double Olympic Gold at Tokyo in 1964.

Back then, I’m not sure how many of Lydiard’s athletes would have questioned his coaching methods, I know I didn’t question John’s. I just got on with laying down the foundations of my endurance training with epic 20 mile LSD runs every Saturday and Sunday morning. It’s interesting as recently more and more people want to know ‘Why’ they are being asked to run an LSD, Interval or Speed session and how much to do of each especially by new runners or people fast-tracking their training for the Marathon des Sables.

The simple answer is 80% of your weekly mileage should be LSD, run at 75% Maximum Heart Rate (MHR).

Yes, that’s right, if you are running 50 miles, 40 miles of it should be LSD. And if you are looking for faster times, it’s the easiest way to improve yet so many people run these sessions too fast to get the most out of them. The one-hour, 6-6.5 mile run that so many four-hour marathon runners like to knock out a couple of times a week, only maintains fitness and trains four-hour marathon runners to keep on running four-hour marathons or even worse, get slower.

You see it takes time. I lot of time and, in reality, to become the best version of your own elite marathon runner, it’s probably more of a three to five-year apprenticeship with LSD and it’s adaptation. It took me at least three years to understand my body, get the right mind-set and break down the barriers that limited my performances. In October 2013, I found out for myself how running 200 miles a week for four weeks ALL at LSD could make on my level of fitness as three weeks later, I ran my fastest marathon for 11 years and went on to win the MV50 category at Druid Challenge in the November.

Now, before you go smashing out a Long Slow Distance marathon a day, getting injured or losing your job as you haven’t simply got the time, what you can do is to train smarter and slower in the LSD runs you have planned over the following weekends and Wednesdays. Yes, Wednesday’s which are great for an LSD as it takes some of the mileage loading away from the weekend and is a great way to recover from a Tuesday interval session.

As a guide, LSD are typically run at an easy pace, 1-3 minutes per mile slower than your 10km pace and if you’re not sure of how to plan the next 12-Weeks of your training or if you want to carve chunks off your PB then please get in touch as I’d like to be receiving your texts on a Sunday telling me you’ve smashed your latest Personal Best.

LSD, perhaps the best NATURAL performance enhancing drug ever...

Rory Coleman rory@rorycoleman.co.uk
1,001 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
Location: Cardiff, Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment