Tuesday 5 February 2019

Mistaken Identity - Kim Carnes


‘Must be a case of mistaken identity’… 

On hearing this track taken from the 1981 Kim Carnes, album of the same name, it got me thinking about how folk aren’t always ‘What it says on the tin’. What we project about ourselves and what we actually are, can be in fact be two polar opposites.

From an early age, I believe both sexes are mis-programmed. Men, championed to be, well a Champions – Heroes - Winners. Women - Overpowered – Crushed – Suppressed. Sure, there’s sexual equality in many areas of our society, but how many proud all singing, all dancing ‘Alpha-Males’ that you know actually do what they say they are going to do and live up to the dream they project? Not many I’ve found…

How many Women, for that matter, do you know that are stand-out Champions, Heroines or Winners? They all are when they’ve been empowered, given belief and encouragement in my experience. As for Men, well in general they are on a hiding to nothing as anything less than 100% is perceived as failure, especially by their peer group - namely other ‘Alpha-Projecting Males’.

It doesn’t have to be this way though. If ability matched ambition, then the world would be a far happier and more successful place. Luckily, self-projection is like a fine wine and improves with age and life-experience. It’s a thought I’m going to take with me as I head into my 57th year tomorrow and will continue to deliver to those that reach out to me. Their transformation for me is one of the most inspiring aspects of my life right now.

Perhaps now is a good time to consider your own ‘identity’ – what do you project about yourself? Is what you project, the real you? Are you struggling to keep up the façade? Do you want to change? Would you like the opportunity to show people what you are made of?

It’s worth a thought and please let me know your findings – rory@rorycoleman.co.uk

1,029 Lifetime Marathons, 250 ULTRA-marathons9 Guinness World Records, 15 Marathon des Sables & 25 Years' Dry

No comments:

Post a Comment