Thursday 21 November 2019

Gold - Spandau Ballet

Sporting Greatness...
Watching this video brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye and I’ll be honest and say I watched it a couple of times – a great soundtrack from M83 to accompany it too. You see, sport provides an amazing platform where people can perform and as spectators we’re lucky to be able to watch every second as it happens. Witness every bead of sweat in hi-res. Watch the highs, the lows and the simple joy of life-long dedication being realised in a split second.

My favourite sporting event, the Olympics are just 246 days away in Tokyo – where for some it will present a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to succeed. An opportunity to become a household name, a role models and a national treasure or an also ran if it all goes wrong. Success and Failure on a knife-edge, hanging by a thread – that’s why I love it so much.

A proper life-moment to savour for the those who will be standing on the podium for sure…

But for the mere mortal that will certainly never compete at such a level, what can we take from the efforts of those taking gold, silver or bronze? Or for that matter anyone we see or know that is outstanding in their field of relativity. Sure it takes commitment, devotion and single-mindedness but it also takes 'Ingredient X' - the desire to WIN. We tell our children to share and that it's the taking part that matters - hmm I wonder what Usain Bolt might say about that? - I know what Sir Ranulph would say.

David Coleman's famous commentary at the 1968 Olympics went as follows - 'Hemery takes the gold, in second place Hennige and who cares who's third?' - John Sherwood might as he was the bronze medallist, that day? Anyway, Crammy certainly won't get away with that kind of comment next year - yet life just isn't like that is it?

Or is it for you?

Are you just taking part? Making up the numbers? Well for the record I'm not. I'm out there going for Gold every day in everything I do - making the most out of every opportunity. Making my own 'YouTube' highlights package of life-moments I can look back on in years to come and feel proud of - but then I've been probably hard-wired that way. 

Being surrounded by high-achievers at an early age spring-boarded my path for sure. Being the best at something really helped with my education from 1973-80 I can tell you - everyday was an Olympic challenge and I loved it.

So are you winning Gold today? Will you be adding to your own ''YouTube' highlights package' over the next 24hrs, 7 days or even in the year ahead... It's worth a thought.

1,048 Marathons - 255 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment