Tuesday 3 December 2019

Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve

A Great Watch...
‘Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money then you die’…

It seems a long time since the late 90’s and the brilliant Bittersweet Symphony. Whenever I hear it, I’m immediately transported back to 1998 where I’m listening to the track in the middle of the night on my 24-hour Treadmill Guinness World Record. It cropped up on my playlist yesterday mid-run and gave me a much-needed boost…

Anyway, after my run, I watched the video, sure it’s dated (as have I), but Ashcroft’s vitriolic lyrics are still just as relevant now as they were back then and even more-so as we head into the 20’s in just a few weeks’ time.

You see for me at the turn of the century, I wasn’t really sure what the next two decades would have in store but what I can say with hindsight was that at that time, I was ‘Empire Building’ - You know, totally blinkered, severely career-focussed and definitely a slave to the money and the kudos of becoming and being a Company MD. 

My oh my, Mr. Ashcroft was spot on and said it just the way it was.

In the pre-digital age, we lived in a different world - with different aspirations at a different pace but somehow in 2019 life’s no different – it’s just faster. And the faster it goes, the harder it gets keeping up. Most of the folk I meet admit to feeling being ‘Out of Control’.

Let’s face it, the treadmill of the 20’s is already running ‘Out of Control’ for everyone. And it makes me wonder where we will all be by the end of 2029. Will we be living life in an all-electric, carbon-neutral, plastic-free world where Brexit was a distant nightmare and someone has had the common sense to unite the great minds that exist to create a safer, greener and less threatening environment so we can enjoy a Sweeter Symphony on this amazing planet of ours.

It does make you wonder…

1,049 Marathons - 255 Ultras - 9 Guinness World Records - 15 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment