Thursday 16 April 2020

Complicated - Avril Lavigne

Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?

Is it just me or have the past four weeks been a breath of fresh air? Has the lockdown actually been good, not only for social distancing, but a welcomed ‘time out’ from our over complicated existences? I mean in ‘lockdown’, I haven’t actually been anywhere, and my car hasn’t moved an inch. I haven’t been into a shop, spent any cash from my wallet or paid for something contactless once in over a month. It’s kinda weird, yet kinda refreshing. Okay, my Costa Coffee and Starbucks loyalty points aren’t looking so promising but then I’ve saved a fortune by not using the motorway services as an excuse to supply myself with ‘Medium Americanos with space for milk.’

It gets you thinking doesn’t it? I mean, I’m not even sure why I ever started doing the whole coffee thing in the first place. And if I’m being honest, I’m now of a mind not to start that particular habitual process again. Somehow it just got into became the norm as an essential part of any long journey. But not any more…

If you could only let it be, you will see…

It’s one of a hundred different things I can think of, where I’ve inadvertently over-complicated my daily behaviour. Removing these unnecessary might provide some much-needed air to breathe and time for personal growth. Growth stifled by our own complication. How many times have you pushed and pushed to get things done or accomplish a goal in record time only to fail when given time it would have happened of its own volition? Patience with yourself being key to being patience in any situation.

You're watching your back, like you can't relax…

If you are paranoid, then the current situation isn’t probably helping your mindset right now. However, with the right faith in the Ministers working on our behalf and stories like Captain Tom raising well over £12M for the NHS we can hopefully keep thinking warm thoughts and keep us working as a nation - together. Well let’s hope, eh?

Chill out, what you yelling for?

And when you shout and yes, we all feel like shouting right now – try to remember what you were shouting about before the lockdown started and you’ll appreciate just how much your horizons have changed in a matter of a few short weeks.

Life's like this, you fall, and you crawl, and you break…

Because sh*t happens - It always does and over the years’ I’ve always riding the crest of a wave before I found myself flat on my face and crest-fallen. But when it’s happened, I’ve always dusted myself off and got back on with the task in hand. Maybe with a simpler modus operandi. And if this is where you find yourself with at least another three weeks of a less complicated existence under lockdown, take a close look at what you aren’t missing as you might not miss it in the future either.

Lots of Marathons, Ultras, Guinness World Records and Marathon des Sables...

No comments:

Post a Comment