Monday 3 April 2023

Enter Sandman - Metallica


With the MDS less than three weeks away I tought it would be worthwhile writing a short blog to try and help those that are injured/unwell/anxious or just plain excited.

If you feel you haven’t done enough or trained hard enough, join the crew as everyone will be having those thoughts right now. Self-doubt is a major part of the Kryptonite that can undermine your MDS.

There again, if you are in the shape of your life and feel your running shorts are going to explode, beware as there’s a massive opportunity to mess everything up by running one last marathon/ultra, walking 60km with a massive pack or playing a rough game of five-a-side with your kids - it does happen - a lot.

If like me, you’ve recently had Covid, take your time to return to exercise. My lungs felt like I’d become a 60-a-day smoker overnight and in reality it doesn’t matter that much if I don’t run again until the MDS as I’ve trained enough - just like you have hopefully - to get me through the race.

My advice would be to concentrate on staying healthy and work on lightening your pack weight. It's time better spent

Lastly, the MDS is really doable - it’s just as hard as you make it. Plan - plan - plan and be ready to adapt as the race unfolds and if you are still unsure or need some help please contact me as I’m here to help everyone get to the finish line.

And hopefully I'll be there celebrating with you on the 29th April.

See you in the desert...

1,153 Marathons - 270 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment