Tuesday 18 April 2023

Into the Sun - Weekend Players

Song - Into the Sun - Weekend Players

As I set off for my 16th Marathon des Sables (MDS) aka ‘The World’s Toughest Footrace’, in a couple of days, it got me thinking about what this ‘pilgrimage’ actually means to me. Funnily enough we fly out to the race seven years' to the day that 
I became ill with GBS. And as you know the MDS became part of my healing process. How apt.

I always say the race is part of my DNA yet it’s five years’ since I was last in the Southern Morocco slaving out 250km (156 miles) over six stages in temperatures of up to 50c. I can remember my first MDS in 1999, being 37 and running in fancy-dress, über-fit, super-excited, without any of the gizmos we now take to monitor our distance, heart rate etc. with a sense of freedom, adventure and innocence that’s sometimes hard to hold on to.

 

Twenty-four years and 1,000 marathons later, I’ve decided to just go and enjoy the whole experience and soak up every last drop of the highs and lows that the race brings. I mean why go if it’s too easy or impossible as the race is very doable. It’s all about looking after yourself and dealing with problems and situations as they unfold. Being able to adapt is the key quality as let’s face it 50c carrying a pack full of ‘space-food’ and living like a tramp for the week when your feet ache, ain’t easy.

 

So, this time, I have no race predictions. I’ve just surrounded myself with good people. Honest people. People I like and people I want to help feel the way I do about this amazing adventure. People I want to help finish the race too. There will be blisters, sweat and tears, but that’s why we go. To feel alive and to say ‘I’ve just run across the Sahara Desert’ to anyone who’s willing to listen upon our return to some kind of normality.

 

If you are racing, enjoy, do your best and don’t give up. If you want to follow anyone’s progress the ‘MDS Live” site is here, my tent number is 99 and my race number is 1033. Some get a move on messages and Premier League results are more than welcome.

 

I’m back in the office on May 2 and will willingly burn your ears with tall tales upon my return.

 

Until then, Au revoir…


1,154 Marathons - 270 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records


No comments:

Post a Comment