Sunday 10 March 2024

Let in the Sun - Take That!

Heaven

When was the last time you had a ‘Life Moment’? A moment in time that will live with you forever. One that will become engrained into your DNA.
 

Like most folk, I’ve had many both positive and negative moments but I’m going to describe a couple of experiences where suddenly the penny dropped - that we are not on the planet that long and that despite everything that life throws at us we make our own memories.

 

The first happened back in 2004 when I ran 2004km in 43 days from London to Lisbon for Euro 2004. I’d been on the road for at least a month, and I’d reached central Spain. These were solo daily marathons where it was just me running along immersed in thought and rolling landscapes. After surviving the arid conditions of central Spain, I’d reached a more arable, rolling and picturesque countryside. The roads were quiet, and I passed through small villages and towns onto chalk downs put down to fields of swaying bright green barley, highlighted in the warm summer sun, under an azure sky.

 

My thoughts were that if Heaven existed - this is how it would be.

 

In that moment, I thought I’d better drink in my surroundings and so I stopped. Took off my shoes and took the photo that I captioned ‘Heaven’. I wanted that image burned into my mind so I would never need to look at it again - it would just be in my instant access memory bank. It’s an image that will live with me forever.

 

However, a moment doesn’t have to be visual - it can be a feeling. 

 

I remember being back at the Marathon des Sables in 2017; less than twelve months post Guillain-Barré Syndrome. I have no visual memory as things were still somewhat fuzzy of that time. I do recall though about how I felt at the top of Jebel Oftal, high above the plain listening to ‘Let in the Sun’ by Take That, thinking about just how fucking lucky I was to be there, following the toughest year of my life. I didn’t think Gary Barlow would ever bring me to tears, but the words spoke volumes to me.

 

Gary sings, ‘You've found yourself alone in a room. Total devastation. In the darkness, you must enter the code and crack the combination all on your own’… he continues to sing lines that even now make me want to cry. Like I said, ‘I’m fucking lucky’. Take a listen – it’s a great song. A moment of realisation.

You see, life is a series of moments, each fleeting and unique. 

 

If we're constantly distracted or preoccupied, we’re at risk of letting these moments slip by unnoticed. Whether it's a breath-taking landscape or a feeling you get in a special place, (you thought you’d never get to experience again), there are countless opportunities to savour the present.

 

It's about cherishing the present rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. If we embrace this mindset, we become more attuned to the richness of our experiences and the beauty of the world around us.

 

Ultimately, not missing the moment is about living with intention and awareness, and making the most of each precious moment we are given. It's about slowing down, tuning in, and appreciating the richness of life in all its complexity and beauty.

 

Think on. Live life. Enjoy moments that will last a lifetime.


1,179 Marathons - 276 Ultras - 9 GWR - 16 MDS - 1,000,000 Moments

No comments:

Post a Comment