Tuesday 30 July 2024

Echoes - The Pink Floyd

Music that defined the 70's
There are certain bands, albums and tracks that have accompanied my life’s ups and downs. No doubt you have your own back catalogue but here I’m going to tell you mine. And if you are a regular reader of my blog, you’ll know that the music of messers Gilmour, Mason, Waters & Wright aka ‘The Pink Floyd’, has topped my charts more times than any other band and I featured the tracks ‘Time’ or ‘Sheep’ on many occasions.

However, trying to pick one’s ‘Desert Island Discs’ from the bands peak period - that’s Meddle ’71, Dark Side of the Moon ’73, Wish you were here ’75, Animals ’77 and The Wall ’79 is a challenge too far I’m afraid and if you are a Pink Floyd fan of a similar age to me you’ll understand the impossible equation. You see, their music has played a huge role in developing my ‘Coleman-world’ and it’s the simple complexity of the music combined with acidic lyrics that I’ve always loved. Yes, the Gilmour Waters duo and their love hate relationship that’s given their music the edge. 

 

I first heard Dark Side at my friend’s house in 1973 (he had an older sister with a record deck) and I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve bought ‘Wish you were here’ on tape, CD, Album, MP3, Apple & Spotify formats. Sadly, I missed the Animals tour in 1977, but I did buy The Wall on its release in November 1979 and saw their much-acclaimed world tour at Earls Court in August 1980 - where they only played thirty nights worldwide.

 

No wonder the band’s music is embedded in my DNA.

 

It’s permeated its way into my life in countless ways. It’s served as a backdrop to fifty years of life experiences. It’s shaped my moods, enhance my memories, and provided comfort during difficult times – (and boy I’ve had my fair share of those).

 

Jen calls it ‘depressing’ and says it’s ‘wrist slashing music’ but I think that’s what I like about it. I love the darkness, the anger, the pure vitriol but I also admire the unbelievable musicianship that shines out from every song. The two, yes two, guitar solos in Comfortably Numb will never be surpassed.

 

During the Marathon des Sables, I have a ‘Pink Floyd Day’ where I play the above albums in order in their entirety and listen deeply to the music as I wonder at the scenery around me in a complete-surround-sound-world. I’ve shed many tears in this heightened-state and I’d recommend this to anyone that wants to experience a special out-of-body audio-experience.

 

Could you get this listening to Genesis or Coldplay? - perhaps. There’s certainly not enough depth of field with these or other bands as it’s the whole Pink Floyd  emotional atmosphere that provides the ‘Ingredient X’, the catalyst to a higher state that makes the ordinary, feel extraordinary.


I recommend a good pair of headphones and listening in ‘Lossless’ studio sound quality for the full effect. 

 

Try, ‘Welcome to the Machine’ for an amazing sonic experience where you’ll be able to hear the full range of sound effects that a Pioneer CTF4040 Cassette Deck couldn’t deliver back in 1980. It still feels strange to hear this minus the added tornado of hiss that Dolby couldn’t suppress.

 

And for the record (no pun intended), I’ll be listening to Echoes when I’m at the gym - where twenty-two minutes of their amazing music, might just redefine my future once again. 

1,192 Marathons - 279 Ultras - 17 MDS - 9 GWR & Comfortably Numb

No comments:

Post a Comment