Friday 8 September 2017

Truth is a Beautiful Thing – London Grammar

May the Best (Church Mix)
Lyrics:- ‘May the best of you ring true, may the best of me be enough to keep you’

They say, ‘Truth Hurts’… and when I ‘Googled’ - ‘Sayings about Truth’, I found out that some very wise sages had written some snappy one liners that might be worth taking on board for us both today.

How about ‘Three things cannot be long hidden, the Sun, the Moon and the Truth’ – Budda, or ‘Never apologise for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologise for the Truth’ – Benjamin Disraeli or my favourite, ‘Truth is everybody is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for’ – Bob Marley.

The Truth is a real bugger ain’t it? 

Let’s face it, no one likes deception and when the chips are down, all we want to know are the hard facts, ‘The REAL Truth’ – BS Free in one simple to understand sentence. I know when I was ill last year with Guillian-Barre Syndrome, all I wanted to know was the Truth to the one simple question, the one that anyone that’s paralysed wants to know – ‘Will I ever walk again?’ I didn’t want to know how I’d go about it, I just wanted a simple clearly defined answer. A simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. The ‘We don’t know’, I can’t say either way right now’, replies were possibly more annoying than being wheelchair bound at the time if I’m being honest. And yes, I know the Doctors didn’t want to raise my expectations but it didn’t act as a guiding light out of a very dark tunnel.

I believe being clear with folk, that’s being ‘Truthful’ and not ‘Brutal’ (Although sometimes folk see it that way) is vital, especially when it comes to people’s ‘Appetite versus Ability’. I'm always clear in where I see people's predicaments and saying how it is. You see in my book, once the Truth has been explored, there comes ‘Hope’ and ‘Direction’.

Anything is possible - I’ve proved that over the years. So here's my quote to add to the above...

‘You just need to be True to YOURSELF, as YOU are the person YOU deceive the most’ – Rory Coleman

It applies to me for sure and in my case, I did just that and hid from the Truth about my GBS Predicament for a month before I faced up to the hard facts that I was very firmly in the S H 1 T. However, once I’d explored where I was, I found a glimmer of ‘Hope’ and ‘Direction’ and learned a very valuable life-lesson that being a ‘Head-in-the-Sand-it’ll-turn-out-alright-kinda-guy’ wasn’t going to cut Coleman’s Mustard out of the GBS nightmare. 

Facing up to The Truth did...

Twelve months on and I’ll be honest and say that I’m still coming to terms with the Truth that I’ll never be the person that I was before. Whether I need to be is another question and I hope I'm a different, better person now. Better in mind than in body perhaps but happy to look in the mirror and see the Truth looking back at me.

It’s very much work in progress and a journey that will take a lifetime to complete but it’s one that I feel I’m well on my way with and it’s one that you might consider taking yourself rather sooner than later as there’s nothing better than knowing the Truth is there?

It's something that after 12 weeks, I hope our #Average2Awesome Guys from Stepnell have discovered and that you will too.

Amen.

Rory Coleman - 999 Marathons - 244 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables
9 Guinness World Records - 8,645 Days' Alcohol Free - 493 Days' post GBS
Location: Cardiff, Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment