Sunday 14 January 2018

Close to the Edge - Yes

The Solid Time of Change….
A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace…

I’ve had a busy week working on our Average2Awesome Programmes and helping ULTRAdiet clients’ work hard on their weight-loss challenges. For most it’s a chance to improve and start over, yet for some, it’s very much a ‘last-chance-hotel’ and emotions have been running high to say the least.

I listened to the ‘Yes’ Prog-rock classic on one of my long car journeys home. Returning from an A2A seminar the lyrics grabbed me as most of the people I meet, find ‘life’ high pressure. Everyday hard-working decent, intelligent people are living ‘Close to the Edge’ just to keep their heads above water - and that got me thinking…

I wonder just how many people in the whole of the UK are living ‘Close to the Edge’ right now? I bet it’s more than you and I think. For instance, the stats say 2.5 million children are living with 500,000 alcoholic parents and 300,000 people living on our rough on our streets tonight. I hardly need to mention the 1:12 people using illicit drugs or the 1:4 with mental health issues that swell the numbers.

The frightening thing is that the people I meet and train are part of those stats in one way or another. For that matter, I am and have been part of them too.

So why is ‘Life’ and for that matter ‘Living’ so bloody tough?

It really hit home driving back over the Old Severn Bridge into Cymru. There were police cars galore as well as an ambulance lying in wait as a man held on for dear life from the bridge threatening to jump… Let’s hope his cry for help was heard and he’s now found a way out of his perilous life-threatening situation. Cynically, I wonder how many people felt inconvenienced? I felt sad for him…

And take away the plain in which we move
And choose the course you're running…

It’s hitting home everywhere I look and go right now. As far as I can see, the world is in a kind of ‘out-of-control-free-fall’ with some people holding on for dear life, whilst others are burning the path of no return as they walk headlong down the plank before jumping into personal disaster.

Down at the edge, round by the corner
Close to the edge, down by a river…

To be honest, I’m not sure where I’m heading with this blog as I don’t have the answers. Only observations and experience of ‘being’ Close to the Edge’ myself and saving a lot of other people from - well – themselves over the years. Being in a life-threatening tight spot doesn’t have to be as dramatic and luckily as rare as hanging precariously from a bridge. Just look around, turn up the sensitivity on your radar and you’ll find you’re surrounded by a nation of people at breaking point.

Getting over all the Time I had to Worry
Leaving all the changes far from far behind…

Ah the ‘T’ and ‘W’ words. They’re the bane of modern day life IMO as Time is far too scarce and ‘Worrying’ isn’t far off being an Olympic Sport.

Being ‘Close to the Edge’ back in 1972, when this song was written, lacked the intensity that we are ALL feeling in the 21st Century. Let’s face it, the ‘Pace of Life’ has moved on so fast that most of us aren’t keeping up with it and our inability to constantly upgrade our personal operating systems is only breeding doubt and hatred into our minds.

The eyes of honesty can achieve
How many millions do we deceive each day?

And so, we bumble on through ‘life’. Conning ourselves and each other that everything’s alright and that we are super-strong and super-tough living in a perfect online world, sharing our lives with anyone that will tune in and listen.

The truth is written all along the page
How old will I be before I come of age for you?

Hey, it’s not written on this page, it’s written all over your face and in how you look as that’s the pictorial evidence of how you’ve lived your life so far.

Over the years, I’ve become tuned into folk that are ‘Close to the Edge’.
It’s amazing how people burst into tears as soon as they start to tell me their story.

Close to the Edge
Now that you find, now that you're whole...

Finding the ‘Edge’, however brings relief and a path out of the depths of despair. I know - I’ve been right on the very finest ‘Edge’ there is but I’ve chosen my course and I’m running. It ain’t perfect and I’m not perfect but it’s working.

I get up, I get down…

Probably 90% Up/10% Down if I’m being honest – how ‘Close to the Edge’ are you?

Rory Coleman - rory@colemancoaching.co.uk - 24 Years' Alcohol Free
1,007 Marathons - 245 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
8,775 Days from the Edge

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rory
    Just wanted to let you know I entered and completed my first marathon this weekend in Gloucester and to say thank you as this wouldn’t have happened without your intervention and inspiration. I enjoy the blog and the musical journey keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to know and well done - keep the faith and as far away from the edge as you can...

    ReplyDelete