Thursday 18 January 2018

Shakin' the Tree - Peter Gabriel

Everyone knows a Swiss Toni...
For those of you new to ‘Coleman Coaching’ and the way I see I the world around me, I found over the years that my blog’s a good way of communicating my thoughts to a much wider audience. Sometimes you’ll think they were written especially for you (and they might well have been) and at other times you’ll wonder what hallucinogen I was on at the time of writing – looking back over the last 14 years of blogging, I often think that myself.

Anyway, for the record, today - We are shakin' the tree...

Yep, we’ll be using the lyrics of my all-time hero, Sir Peter of Gabriel as a theme. There’s a great live clip of this song here, so take a listen and you’ll see where I’m coming from perhaps - especially if you’ve never heard the song before. FYI, the show featured was filmed in 1992 - one of the toughest years of my life and the one which saved me as you’ll know if you’ve read my book – ‘A Rebel and a Runner’.

Waiting your time, dreaming of a better life…

Yikes, I must have blogged a thousand times on the ‘Life’ subject but for most of this week, I’ve been more struck with the ‘Belief Principle’. Well that’s what I’ve christened it and my question today is all about what we ‘Believe’. Personally, I ‘Believe’ in a lot of things. I ‘Believe’ if I drink again, the old RC will return and I wouldn’t want that and I ‘Believe’ that if I take vitamin B12 and drink Aloe Vera my GBS won’t return either. We all have such ‘Belief Principles’. However, I don’t necessarily ‘Believe’ what I’m being told from time-to-time. In Sales (And I’ve quoted it many times over) it’s said that ‘If People buy the Person, they’ll buy the Product’ – 

It's true. So, here’s a question for you would You, buy from You? Or in fact do you buy you? I didn’t buy me all those years ago… I didn’t ‘Believe’ in me.

Do you ‘Believe’ in yourself? When you say you are going to do something, or be somewhere or take on a challenge – do you deliver? Every time?

Turning the tide, you are on the incoming wave 
Turning the tide, you know you are nobody's slave…

Self-analysation over, it’s amazing just how many people are slaves to self-imposed behavioural processes that limit them from being the person they want to be. That’s why - We are shakin' the tree… right now.

Find your Sisters and Brothers, who can hear all the truth in what you say 
They can support you when you're on your way…

Well those Sisters and Brothers are there in our FB Groups and where some other FB groups breed only more negativity, yours is an arena to help each other reach out and achieve. The real winner here is YOU – if you ‘Believe’ you can be the person you want to be. Our ‘Life-Laundry’ philosophy based on my own journey only breeds future success and happiness. Sure, it’s not all roses but starting over with a blank sheet of paper, pruning back the old you and shaping the new one can be totally liberating. We see it time and time again.

Make the decision that you can be who you can be, you can be tasting the fruit come to the Liberty Tree
Changing your ways, changing those surrounding you, changing your ways, more than any man can do…

I changed everything during my own transformation but I’m an all-or-nothing kinda guy. I’m not suggesting that you are as extreme as I was but it’s a great opportunity to shake things up in your own world. Time for a ‘Time-Out to Reconsider’ perhaps and if you are starting your journey with us, let the games begin. If you are thinking that you want to change please contact me.

Take a listen to the song and Shake it all around…

Rory Coleman - rory@colemancoaching.co.uk - 24 Years' Alcohol Free
1,007 Marathons - 245 Ultras - 14 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
8,779 Post Life-Laundry

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rory
    Interesting take on lyrics – very apt. Did the lyrics fit the thoughts or the thoughts fit the lyrics? Does Peter know how inspired you are by his song/s? You should tell him.
    For the record I would buy from ‘me’ but Im not sure I am the sort of person I should be selling to. Love your blog and your no messing talks. See you in the desert. Adam

    ReplyDelete