Friday 24 May 2019

Live and Dangerous

Life’s kinda ‘Dangerous - incredibly Dangerous in fact and I find some of the things people do in searching for their ‘Ultimate High’, quite stupefying at times. A bit ‘Rich’ coming from someone like me you say. And yes, if I think back over the past 57 year’s there are some things that if I saw my children doing them, I’d go ballistic – but maybe what we don’t know doesn’t hurt eh? 

I mean, the 57-year-old Rory Coleman would never walk 60ft above the River Avon atop Stannells Railway Bridge in Stratford-upon-Avon, or ride down the Bordon Hill (1:10) flat out – (both bridge and bike no-handed) as he might have in 1976 - but then that’s what we used to do for fun before we ‘Grew-Up’. Maybe it’s why we spend so much time in nowadays acting like children. It’s all about ‘Escape’ nowadays. Pressure – Stress…

They say that the world has changed more in the last ten years’ than the previous seventy. Sounds about right to me. And that old-age doesn’t begin until you are at least 74 (there’s hope for me yet), but what are we doing to insure that we get there? Standing atop Stannells Bridge or a skyscraper in Dubai if you’re flash without a safety harness, or extreme paragliding, climbing Everest, walking to the South Pole or melting in the heat of the Sahara Desert or ALL of the above – can’t be the best recipe of a long life.

Anyway, my point is that we insure against things happening to our possessions and dare I say ‘Cars’, yet we don’t see to place much importance of getting more of a lifetime out of our mind and body. Okay, when or if you reach 90 and beyond, I’m not sure how much Paragliding in the Sahara you’ll be wanting to do – however you might want to consider the option and enjoy your latter years as much as the earlier ones - only more sensibly.

It comes down to ‘Resilience’ – a great term for drive, determination and direction all rolled into one and good old ‘Common Sense’. How’s your ‘Resilience’ and ‘Common Sense’ Insurance holding up? Sadly, there’s no on-line checker for the cheapest option here but you can speak toyour broker, you’ll find them if you take a long hard look in the mirror in the cold light of day.

See if you can make a new deal for yourself…

1,037 Marathons, 250 ULTRAs, 9 Guinness World Records & 15 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment