Tuesday 10 May 2022

Definitely Maybe - Oasis


Here’s a simple question - ‘Are you giving things your best shot?’

Would you give yourself a 70, 80 or even a 90% appraisal of living the dream, or is it a 50% or less? It’s a tough question to answer and one that’s hard to come to terms with. Yet in your heart-of-hearts you know how much time, effort and determination you’re putting in to reaching your dreams and goals.

Addiction of any kind is a binary, black and white world, where percentages 1-99 simply don’t exist and an ‘almost unique’ is a ‘not unique’. You’re either drinking/not drinking alcohol. Smoking/not smoking. On diet/not on diet. I believe the ‘I’ve been mostly on it’… I hear so often is more of a ‘I’ve been mostly off it’. It’s not an option.

But I get it. I really do. Changing the engrained habits of a lifetime within the world and people we’ve surrounded ourselves with is an almost impossible task. Temptation is all around and fitting in with the crowd makes for an easier life and provides a wonderful excuse. 

But perhaps it’s when we are on our own that we are at our most dangerous. The one where you talk yourself into failing. Yes, I believe the person that limits your success most – is you. 

In my world, there’s no ‘definitely maybe’. It’s a simple ‘yes/no’, ‘black/white’, ‘zero/one’ option. My thoughts are, what’s the point in trying if I know I’m going to fail? If I do something, I give it 100% or not do it at all. Yes, it’s a harsh world and one few will understand and one that might lose you friends but hey-ho, when you look back you can say you gave things your best shot.

Now I understand it’s hard to upgrade multiple options at the same time but how about being 100% on just one of the things that’s currently making your life a day long battle of wits. Find a diversion. Reach out for support – there’s lots out there. But for once do what it says on the bloody tin for once today and for the rest of your days?

Amen.

1,127 Marathons -  261 Marathons - 9 Guinness World Records - 15 Marathon des Sables




No comments:

Post a Comment