Saturday 14 May 2022

F E A R - Ian Brown


I’m forever meeting people who are living with anxiety, suffer panic attacks and live life, full of fear. So, imagine my response when yesterday, I was asked what makes me feel anxious and raises my level of stress.

Now if you know me, you’ll know that I’m not the most stressed of people yet, there are situations that make even me, super-anxious. My baseline of anxiety might be lower than most, especially post Guillain-Barre Syndrome in 2016 but it immediately peaks whenever I feel the pressure of confided spaces. 

 

Yes, I’m extremely claustrophobic. And I hate how it makes me feel…

 

Immediately, my heart and respiratory rates spike and I feel the cold sweat on my forehead start to bead. I’m fully aware that it’s an irrational fear, without foundation, but it’s something I’m fully aware of and try to avoid situations where it might happen. Crowded rooms, packed planes and worst of all – a packed lift that jams between floors can enough to tip me over the edge. And believe me – it does.

 

I try not to let it affect how I lead my life and let my limitations limit my expectations – and it’s work in progress.

 

So now you know…

1.128 Marathons - 261 Ultras - 9 Guinness World Records - 15 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment