Sunday 24 December 2023

Promised You A Miracle - Simple Minds


If you know me by now, you’ll know that in January I’ll complete thirty years of sobriety. It's from a New Year’s Resolution I made back in 1993 that helped me stabilise my out-of-control lifestyle and gave my future a sense of direction. I could never have imagined back then where my future life would have taken me, but I say with a huge amount of pride and satisfaction that I've enjoyed every single moment of my life's ups and downs - alcohol free.

Having stuck to my promise it’s easy to say how easy that's been upholding my pledge as researchers suggest that only 9% of folk that make resolutions complete them. In fact, research goes on to show that 23% of people quit their resolution by the end of the first week, and 43% quit by the end of January. 

 

Personally, I think many New Year’s Resolutions don't see the day out.

 

With that in mind, here are my NYR thoughts that might help you make some a promise you can keep for 2024 and possibly beyond.

 

You see, some NYRs are simply UNREALISTIC and are impossible from the outset to maintain, or the goal is set too far in the future - be real. Making a PLAN helps no end as without a road map to a brighter place, there is no direction - make it simple. Like any journey there might be delays or PROBLEMS that need to be negotiated, if you are easily distracted or influenced, defeat is an easy option - know your destination. Try to EXPERIMENT with new activities and people if you can - I went for a run and ditched the people that enabled me to misbehave. Surround yourself with the right people and lastly RECORD your progress and become accountable using wearable technology - or work with a Coach as they will encourage you and keep you focussed.

 

Use the acronym 'UPPER' to UP your game and become UPPER class in 2024. It could happen from making a simple self-promise, just as I did back in 1993 - one that I know I'll be keeping for the year ahead and for every year beyond that. 

 

So, with that in mind, what's your NYR and what difference could that make to your life for the New Year ahead as I'd love to know?


1.173 Marathons - 276 Ultras - 9 GWR - 16 MDS - 10,945 Days' Sober

No comments:

Post a Comment