Friday 29 June 2018

Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds

My word, 1985 only seems like yesterday (If you take a look at Simple Minds lead singer, Jim Kerr you'll understand) but I wonder if your ‘values’ and ‘life-goals’ are the same as they were back then? I wonder if you are even the same person. Maybe you weren’t even alive 33 years ago but in that case why not think back to a younger version of yourself and see if you’ve ‘Forgotten’ your previous incarnations.

In 1985, I was a very young and ambtious 23 year old, with a whole different set of values, living in a completely different world. Looking back, I knew the future was bright but didn’t know how to achieve the personal happiness that I now feel. Dismissing the thoughts and bad behavioural patterns I had, took time and there wasn’t the support that there is today for anyone wanting to turn their life around. The main theme is the same though, that you have to realise where you are going wrong, and then take a new direction and then stick to it, no matter what – through thick and thin.

What is it that makes people ‘Forget’, ‘Give Up’ or ‘Dismiss’ their new direction.

Tell me your troubles and doubts...

I love helping folk and it’s fascinationg how everyone that comes to see me wants to change, yet sticking to the plan can become so challenging AFTER things have already started to change for the better. It's amazing how dangerous people become the further they get into the programme...

Giving me everything inside and out...

You see people are very honest about where they are at the start of the process about their dishonesty – that is to themselves and of course for how long they’ve been duplicitous. Their duplicity manifests as we work together much to my amusement.

Slow change may pull us apart...

It’s a hard hit that kick starts the change yet it’s the slow change of time that delivers the goal and that’s what folk hate. I call it 'The Wait'. It's a kinda ‘Mission Statement’ we love to create at the start of any project that a few months later folk have forgotten.

When the light gets into your heart...

And yet when the green lights start going your way, momentum builds and you know deep down that change will happen.

Will you recognise me?

Will you recognise yourself more-like! That happens a lot as folk take time to get to know the new person looking back at them in the mirror. And even though Colleauges, Friends and Family will say you look amazing, they might also say you are looking thin or gaunt which can halt the whole process well before your weight goal for instance, purely because you don’t match their image of you - or you don’t match your own. A 1.83 metre man should weigh around 80kgs – if you’ve been 130kgs, 90kgs might look thin yet it’s still overweight – and 10kgs too heavy.

Good enough? Maybe but not in my book… and if it’s getting tough, reach out there’s a lot of help out there – I’m here and I don't forget...

1,020 Marathons - 246 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment