Tuesday 27 December 2022

Enter Sandman - Metallica

Marathon des Sables 2017

The Marathon des Sables (The World’s Toughest Footrace) is one of life’s most exciting personal adventures and provides a perfect opportunity to find out just what makes you tick. During the 250kms (156 miles) of endless desert, sand dunes, mountains and dried-up-river beds, the 50+ degree temperatures will literally boil your brain. I’m really looking forward to the race as the desert makes me feel ALIVE! I discovered the race whilst trying to run 100 marathons in 1999. It was part of my journey of recovery from being a very unfit alcoholic, nicotine addict, and I saw the race as the ultimate life-laundry opportunity.


The whole experience changed my horizon on how I should structure my life. And during the seven days of the race, like most competitors I was broken both mentally and physically. The deconstruction and reconstruction of one’s character is profound and everyone who does the race comes back appreciating life, relationships and home comforts far more than when they went. I certainly did.

 

The race, well it’s tough. It hurts your feet, your legs, your back, in fact everything – however, crossing the finish line each day is one of life’s biggest rushes. I also enjoy the solitude that the race brings and it’s not like you can get lost following a long line of people stringing ahead of you like ants. It’s a marvellous time for reflection and the only consideration each day is to get to the finish, rest, eat and drink litres of water to get re-hydrated for the next day’s run. Out in the sand dunes, the going can be extremely slow as you climb the loose sand that immediately collapses under your feet but eventually you get to the finishing line.

 

At the end of each stage there is a small cup of sweet Moroccan tea to quench your thirst a little before walking back to an open sided Berber tent to share your tales of the day with seven other competitors who have just endured the same experience. The tent is your desert haven, your comrades become seriously special people that help bolster your spirit. Back in 1999 there were less than 600 competitors. In 2023 there will be a colossal 1200 due people coming out of lockdown, who like me back in ’99 are looking for an adventure. 

 

And after the race, everyone that’s taken part will have a special place in their heart for their days at the MdS. I’ve completed many challenges, set world records and run the length of the Europe but I’m looking to recharge my batteries at my 16th Marathon des Sables next year, why - because I LOVE it – and when you’ve experienced the MDS, you’ll love it too.


1,149 Marathons - 270 Ultras - 9 Guinness World Records - 15 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment