Monday 20 August 2018

Victim of Illusion - Michael Schenker Group

If you were a young man like me back in 1980, you would have been impressed by the unorthodox, 'Gibson Flying V' playing, Michael Schenker. His music was described, at the time, as melodic hard rock but looking back wasn't all that heavy - the self-titled album 'The Michael Schenker Group' though was a must have, especially if you were part of the 'New Wave' of Heavy Rock that was bursting on the scene. Judge for yourself and try and ignore the long hair and spandex tights!

Put it this way, it must have had a profound effect as nearly 40 years on, it was the first song that jumped into my head. when I considered the subject of being a 'Victim'.

'I can't put out the fire, been blinded by the flame,
I have to run for cover, can't stand the pain
Can't stand the pain'.

You see, I’ve experienced being a victim. Or rather I got to understand what being a victim was like a couple of years ago - living the daily ‘Hell’ of ‘Guillian-Barre Syndrome’.

A condition I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy, if I had one. But rather than let it ruin my life and become a long-term GBS Victim (there are many you see), I decided that I didn’t want or need to be a victim – I just wanted to be me again (or as close as I could as possible) to try and live out a relatively normal life...

I decided I didn’t want to become another ‘Energy Vampire’ broadcasting tales of personal woe that eventually fall on deafened ears. I wanted to escape my predicament and feel like I’d won the battle with GBS. Yet, there was no-one there to guide me through the process. The whole thing was a rather messy affair without any clear facts or path to follow. Without my inner strength, I wouldn’t have made it. Ironically, if I’d felt suicidal or desperate, there was a lot more help and direction available. I did see a psychologist as part of my hospital de-mob but I’m not sure what she thought of me. I made her head spin with my thought process I think but she said I was ‘very focussed’ and capable of managing my own way out of the GBS ‘Maze’. So, there you go.

‘The screams are loud but then he can't hear
Nightmare shows his face, then disappears
Ooh victim of illusion, ooh victim of illusion’.

Now I’m not totally empathy-free and I’m fully aware that we live in a tough world, especially if you’ve been dealt a bad hand. But the way to a better and much calmer life is only a step away – I did. Taking the step of ‘Acceptance’ and leaving the thought of being a ‘Victim’ behind will change your outlook on the world, and a much brighter vision awaits, I believe.

But no-one else can ever make it happen for you. You have to do that bit yourself…

‘Gone is the free expression, but look into my eyes,
The silent world is laughing, the mirror never lies,
The mirror never lies!’

Take a long hard look at the ‘Victim’ looking back at you in the mirror. Maybe, it’s time to leave that person behind.  Your family, friends and social network will love you for it and you might start loving yourself.

There's nothing more to say!

1,023 Marathons - 248 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment