Thursday 16 August 2018

Wrong - Everything but the Girl

Tom Hanks succeeding as Jim Lovell
I wanted everything for a little while, why shouldn't I - Thorn & Watt
Well, I don’t know about you but it’s been a super-busy week here at Coleman Coaching. I don’t mind as I love helping folk plan their future and achieve their dreams. However, these plans are built upon a huge foundation of ‘Trust’ and ‘Blue-Sky thinking’ on my part, based on my interpretation of the individuals ability. Now I’m not really a big fan of the ‘Blue-Sky’ saying but hopefully you get where I’m coming from when I say these plans are based only for ‘Success’ and not for ‘Failure’ - which includes (‘Partial Success’ and ‘Partial Failure’) - if those are real terms and not ones I’ve just created! 

The plans are a vital part of a ‘Success Mindset’ that folk are missing in their DNA I believe, ‘The-Win-at-all-Cost-Gene’. Yet it seems that it’s our ‘Failures’ where real ‘Success’ is measured and I for one know that my biggest life-achievements are quitting Alcohol, 25 years ago and beating a life-threatening condition. The GBS blogs had far more hits than passing the 1,000 marathon mark. 

In my world, it’s all about succeeding. I can’t see the point in setting out to ‘Fail’ or setting out levels of  ‘Success’ to mark my achievement. If I were in Education, I wouldn’t have ‘A Level’ grades to confuse future employees - there would be a simple ‘P- Pass’ or ‘F - Fail’ to reflect what really happens in the ‘Real World’ denoting you’ve either achieved something or you haven’t. I mean, there’s no ‘Partial Success’ in climbing Everest or completing the Marathon des Sables - my ‘P’ or ‘F’ system would work a treat here. And in business you either brought the project in on time and in budget or you didn’t - you see it’s simple.

Yet, we have to put in ‘Levels of Success’ into lots of aspects of our lives to allow for things not going to plan, which I believe leads to mediocrity. I often hear - ‘I’ve mainly followed the Programme or Diet’ or ‘It was only a minute, day, week, month’ late. Imagine the greatest achievement of the 20thCentury, Man landing on the Moon, using those core values. Neil Armstrong simply wouldn’t have made it. Yet after Apollo 11, Apollo 13 is the only other one anyone can remember - for failing. Apollo 13 has an Oscar-winning film, Apollo 11 doesn’t.

Maybe as a nation we naturally side with the ‘Underdog’ the ‘David’ in any ‘Goliath’ situation? People ‘Succeeding’ against the odds. I like to be a lot more organised than that and have some clearly set agenda to get me where I want to be - in sickness and in health, when things go right or wrong.

Having a plan, sticking to it and getting the right results is so satisfying - you just have to have a plan. The right one for you and your ability and your stamina as it all takes time, probably a lot more than you’d budgeted for.

You can’t buy ‘Success’ you have to earn it and that’s why it’s easy to fail in this instant world of ours. If your DNA is in need of a system upgrade then please contact me so we can make some ‘Success’ plans for your future. It’s there for the taking…

1,023 Marathons - 248 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment