Sunday 26 August 2018

Back in NYC - Genesis

‘Cos we’re only as strong, as the weakest link in the chain’ - Banks, Collins, Gabriel, Hackett & Rutherford.

It’s a lyric that’s always resonated with me and if you are not familiar with the double-concept album ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway’, it’s well worth a listen as it’s Peter Gabriel’s finest and last work as Genesis’ frontman. It’s a perfect line to accompany today’s blog and mildly ironic as Gabriel left the band during the making of ‘The Lamb’ leaving the rest of the band with little hope of a future - a future that went on to make them millions and Gabriel a near bankrupt.

You see, it’s a common misconception to think that we are invaluable. The world’s best aren’t the best forever. In the world of athletics, Radcliffe and Edwards might still be the World Record Holders, but no longer complete. In other sports, Wiggins has disappeared and the Brownlee’s will soon follow as new kids come onto the block, starting to make their mark on the world. Sure, their achievements are immense and they will all hold a special place in the ‘World of Sport’ – for their generation of course but will like Hemery, Bedford & Ovett, soon become faded memories.

I look at my own sporting achievements in the knowledge that although all of my World Records have been well and truly beaten. However, I can enjoy the fact that I created them and gave birth to a whole series of human endurance records that will go on to test the most hardened and determined person well beyond their limit of human endurance for generations to come. I love being creative.

I love the feeling that creativity brings and I’m loving the creativity of the ‘Average2Awesome Community’ right now. And although it’s still embryonic - the positivity and results it’s starting to deliver are simply remarkable. Not just with one person, it’s across the board. Everyone is a ‘Superstar’. The Team Spirit is SO strong.

Yes, everyone can be their own ‘Weakest Link’ but in our community there’s an overwhelming feeling to succeed not fail. To be the best you possibly can, to give nothing less than 100% and to be the person you’ve always dreamt of being. I feel so good about this right now and although I believe that I’ve been lucky and achieved a lot in my time –this could be the best and most important thing I’ve ever been part of. 

‘The call me the Trail-blazer’.

I'll keep you posted - Watch this space…

1,023 Marathons - 248 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment