Monday 24 September 2018

The Eight Stages of Addiction Escape…

Breaking the ADDICTION Spell...
Addiction is always a hot topic and escape from its claws can be a lifelong trial for some if not most. Being somewhat of a former 'Addict' myself, I didn’t know that these stages existed at the time. I just did what most folk do when they are in ‘Addiction Peril’ - namely pack it up, mess it up and try again - only to fail.

Now, I’ve seen some very promising and talented individuals end up becoming all consumed by their dependence on a complete spectrum of booze, drugs and behavioural traits. Even the acknowledgement of their situation is too much for them to take on board, which takes me nicely onto Stage One.

1. Denia...l

We all know folk that are in ‘Denial’. Yes, acquaintances that have no idea that they are out of control or endangering themselves and or the lives of others. Their once a month occasional blow-out, has spiralled into daily need. It’s a process that happens all to quickly and It’s amazing that ‘a-once-in-every-28-days-kinda-thing’ can become an all-consuming ‘28-in-28’ necessity. I’ve been there myself, fingers in my ears, blocking out the observations of my nearest and dearest continuing my self-destructive behaviour. Putting it simply, some folk are quite happy killing themselves - it's such a waste.

2. Acknowledgment...

Becoming aware of an 'Addiction' takes time. It feels like the 'Addiction' has slowly crept up on you - sort of when you weren’t looking. The glass of wine after work to unwind has become two, three, a bottle, two bottles - every day. Every morning becomes a bit of a battle to get out of bed and the first few fuzzy hours are hastily coffee-filled as the day finally clears around lunchtime to start the whole process again after work. When I speak to daily one-bottlers about three and four bottlers, I always find it amusing how they say, ‘I’m not that bad’, but they are - they just haven’t ‘acknowledged their precarious position as it's far too easy to down another bottle whilst being drunk on the first.

3. Not Today...

You knowing it's time to change, well that’s when the ‘Dithering’ starts. Do you know an ‘Addiction Ditherer’? Yes, they’ve ‘fessed up. Come clean. Acknowledged their situation but are really nowhere nearer sorting it out in reality. This stage can last the longest and I’m sure we all know serial cigarette smokers for instance that say ‘I’d love to give up’ yet you know they never will as they love smoking too much or feel like they’ve smoked for so long that there wouldn’t be any health benefits to be gained. How wrong they are and at over £10 a pack - how much worse off they are too. I remember being at Stage Three for some time before plucking up the courage for Stage 4 as that - well it takes 'Balls'.

4. Next Week...

Yes 'Balls', picking YOUR day, the day that can change YOUR life forever. I remember mine most clearly - the 5th January 1994. It took a huge amount of strength and personal realisation that I needed to change. Realising my ‘Self-Failure’ and ‘Weakness of Character’ was a bitter pill to swallow. Admitting to myself was one thing, admitting it to someone else - well that would be another matter, so I spent a fair bit of time in the ‘Next Week’ stage and if you've been there, you'll know there’s nothing more frightening than standing on the edge of a new future minus your best friend - 'Addiction'.

5. Action...

But then you take a deep breath and jump, it’s exhilarating. It’s fun to be free. Adrenalin pumping with positive thoughts. Well for a few days anyway, until the cracks start to appear and the hunger pangs of 'Addiction' start eating away like worms into your brain - consuming your inner resolve and goodwill. Now don’t get me wrong, some folk grab Addiction' freedom at the first opportunity. One short, sharp shock is all that’s needed to reverse the 'Addiction' tailspin in a single dose. 

If only it happened like that for everyone - as without help, it rarely does.

6. Failure...

On average, it takes four times through the ‘Action-Failure-Cycle’ - an average. The ‘F’ word of 'Addiction' is so condemning. For those looking for eternal abstention we’ll say from booze - the day count is there as an incentive as well as a final condemnation of defeat as the clock resets to zero and the whole process starts over with just one drink. Food Addiction? Well, that’s more of a ‘Grey Area’ as even the mighty weightloss success stories I’ve helped to create, will admit to a few sins along the way. 

Some folk take 'Failure' as a given when setting out on achieving their goal - I’ve always been mindful that any hint of 'Failure' must be put out of mind for success to happen and the ‘F’ word to happily ‘F’ off. 

7. Action...

And back it’s back to Stage 5, well Stage 3 really if you really need a run up to tackle your 'Obsession' once again. I get the ‘Learning from Failure’ analogy and as a nation we love someone winning against the odds - succeeding after a making a complete balls-up the first time round. It sucks if you ask me. Only too often, this becomes the norm and folk become Yo-Yo Slimmers, Drinkers and worst of all Negative-Thinkers. My advice is always to look ahead with a blue-sky attitude - where the possibilities of life far outweigh the Kryptonite that’s attacking your innermost thoughts. Thinking about successfully completing the next 24hrs in your quest to become the ‘Real’ you is all that matters. 

8. Termination...

And when you are FREE, you’ll look back and wonder why you ever got so addicted. Why Booze, Drugs or Food became such an emotional crutch and such a problem. You might not even know you are a ‘Terminator’ - I didn’t. I set off on my journey just seeing if I could complete a day, a month and then a year. In truth my obsession to do something has become an obsession not to do it ever again - I never thought I'd say that. A positive outcome from a dark time that’s now hidden in the vaults right at the back of my mind that’s now covered in a layer of positivity and achievements that mask any notion of a Stage 6 Failure. These thoughts now encourage me to help those who find themselves in a similar predicament - you know who you are.

But of you are 'Addicted', let the battle begin. 'Addiction' or 'Compulsive Behaviour' of any kind eats away at the soul. Each morning, getting up with the best of intentions until things go wrong or having a shitty day at work. Well, staying strong in these moments, that’s the key to success as it’s easier to live life 'Addiction' free when things are going well. That's what makes you Strong, Resilient and a 'WINNER'.

And if any of the above rings true, well it’s time for 'Change'. Time to be free of the ‘Burden of Addiction’. Time to be AWESOME - Amen.

1,025 Marathons - 248 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

2 comments:

  1. Personally I believe that those with addictive type personalities will just go through life passing through a different addictive phase. You have to get a rush from something, whether booze, drugs, work, sport. If I look back on life I have just skipped from one obsession to another. The important thing for me is to find one that is most purposeful / least destructive to myself and others. Even a positive can become a negative; my running obsession took over at one point and I ended up putting my training, events, above family. Some things I can do in moderation, some things I now know I cannot do at all. Thankfully running remains one of those things I can still do. Thanks for the article Rory.

    ReplyDelete