Sunday 2 September 2018

Dreamer - Supertramp

'Make it Happen' - C S Ragsdale
Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer…

Taken from their 1974 album ‘Crime of the Century, Dreamer reached #13 in the UK Charts in February 1975 – I remember hearing it on the radio very well, take a listen and clock the drummer and bass player that look more like Open University presenters than Rockstars. For those not so familiar with Supertramp, they were a ‘Prog Rock/Art House’ kinda band, lodged between Roxy Music and Wishbone Ash in my record collection and always more of a 'Girls Group' to my teenage mind...

I said ‘Far out, what a day, a year, a life it is!’

Anyway, the Big Question is…Do YOU Dream? I know I do. I’ll admit it’s sporadic especially with two small children as sleep is either heavily interrupted or deeply comatose. However, when I dream, the dreams feel familiar – there’s a fascinating concept that you can only dream about what already know or what you’ve already experienced, it happened that way for me last night. During sleep the Neurons in our brains must still be firing, reconstructing reality, connecting experiences, people and places in a crazy channel-hopping-ransom-note-way. It's an alternative world in which we also exist - yikes that's deep.

You know, well you know, you had it comin' to you…

There are some great ‘Dream’ quotes if you need inspiration:-

‘A positive attitude can really make dreams come true - it did for me.’ - David Bailey
‘A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.’ - Yoko Ono

You inspired now? They seem pretty obvious to me and second nature. Hmmm.

I like the phrase ‘Beyond my wildest dreams’ that folk use when they win the 'Lottery'. To go beyond your widest dreams, takes some doing but the only thing is I’m not sure I have wild dreams. Maybe they are wild but seem normal. I mean like most people I’ve been flying above myself and naked in public many times which I’m told are common dreams and have a whole plethora of meanings that 'Google' will provide if you have the time.

Work it out someday…

Okay what I’m really on about are the dreams where you plan out the near and distant future. If you ever get the chance to run a mega-day Marathon or even the Marathon des Sables, you’ll have hours of unbroken thinking time to get a lot of your life in order and make proper life-plans, really detailed and well thought out plans about the months and years ahead. Its amazing how much time you can think about just one thing I've found.

I love that aspect of running and the deep thinking that accompanies the ‘Time-Out’ from everyday life. It’s amazing how pumped up and how much you get done and change when you’ve had such a life-experience and wake up back in reality..

Take a dream on a Sunday,
Take a life, take a holiday,
Take a lie, take a dreamer,
Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream along…

So, as we head into September and the last third of 2018 - What are you dreaming of? What’s going to brighten your future? Make you happier? Calmer? Faster? Thinner? Richer? I'd love to know. 

Maybe become your own Dream-Team and make your Dreams come true - You Dreamer.

Can you put your hands in your head, oh no!


1,023 Marathons - 248 Ultras - 15 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment