Monday 12 September 2016

No More Heroes - The Stranglers

Scott Who?
Lyric:- 'Whatever happened to all the heroes?, All the Shakespearoes'.

Song Choice:- It's ages since I heard any of The Stranglers back catalogue and I'll admit to never buying any of their vinyl back in the day but No More Heroes is actually an iconic track of the 70's, well worth a listen, and ideal for today's blog.

I mean, who are your heroes? Have you ever met them in real life? If you did, did they match up to your expectations? Do we even need in our busy modern-day lives nowadays?

I'm really lucky to have met, trained and raced with one of mine, Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Sadly though like some of my others like Neil Armstrong or Robert Falcon Scott, their names and deeds are slowly being forgotten, as time goes by. Why is that?

Is it our modern day celebrity throw away culture? Or is it that with the advent of YouTube and the Internet where anyone can be a hero and then possibly a zero again before they know it?

Whatever it is, we need our heroes. I've got a long list, of course, including hundreds of musicians, sports people and national treasures, like Ran.

Who are yours? I'd love to know.

Rory Coleman - 976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 8285 Days' Alcohol Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment