Sunday 18 September 2016

Summer of '68 - The Pink Floyd

Lyric:- 'I felt the cold far too soon - the wind of ninety-five' - Wright

Song Choice:- A very hippy, Beatles influenced, track from The Floyd and a rare solo effort from Richard Wright. It's one of my favourite earlier songs from the Atom Heart Mother album of 1970 recorded at The Abbey Road Studios. Stick with it and enjoy the 'Summer of '68' again for yourself here.

Funnily enough, I can remember that summer really well and if you are a wine buff, you'll know just what a vintage year it was and if like me you were 8 years of age or over, you will remember the Football World Cup in Mexico, or the Apollo 13 mission, perhaps. We've certainly had a few summers' since and it's a time of year I simply love, yet missed out on this year as you know... until this weekend.

You see, it's just been simply glorious down here in Cardiff and I've finally been able to get out there and enjoy the 'Summer Sun of '16' delivering some well-earned Vitamin D onto my rather pale old skin and bones, down here on the beach in Porthcawl. 

For me there's just magical about the beach. Maybe it's harkening back to summer holidays spent in the mid '70's spent getting frazzled on Pendine Sands as they were great family times, who knows. They are etched into my mind anyway and being on the flat sands at Rest Bay yesterday reminded me of the 'Summers' of '75 and '76', in particular. 

What scorchers...

Anyway, Wright's lyrics cover a broad span of time and funnily enough, the 'Summer of 95' marked my introduction Ultra-Marathon running. A 33-miler along the Grantham Canal on the August Bank Holiday weekend. I just had to Google the weather on the day as I couldn't remember what it was like - but it was 'Cool and Dry', so there you go.

Gosh, thats 20 year's ago and I wonder what 'Summers' we have lying ahead of us? I know for sure that I don't want to miss out on another one. Being inside, when the world is going on outside just drove me potty. Or pottier!

So there's no time to wastes and this afternoon, is another opportunity to get out there and enjoy another few hours of this 'Indian Summer' before it gets blown away. I suggest you get out there too and enjoy it whilst you can.

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment