Monday 27 June 2016

Come Talk to Me - Sir Peter of Gabriel

Peter Gabriel and Paula Cole 1992
Lyric:- Darkness creeps in like a thief and offers no relief, why are you shaking like a leaf - Gabriel

Song choice:- Top song from the Man himself - btw, if anyone knows how to get me to meet my all-time hero, using my disabledness in it's most pitiful way if needed, please be my guest as this song saved me today. And I mean really saved me...

I could have quite easily chosen the 'Rats, I don't like Mondays' but that wouldn't have done my mood the justice it deserved as it was just one of those 'Black, Jeremy Corbyn type of Mondays' where you think, everythings gone wrong and just give me a day off from the GBS please, and let me feel what it's like to walk again just for one day.

Anyway, I dragged my way into The Morello Clinic today in Newport, under a black cloud of 'Crept in Darkness', with arms shaking so much my teeth were rattling.

Being hoisted up and buckled into the giant 'Baby-Bouncer' come 'Testicle Grinder' (boy those squash your gonads) didn't improve my mood either. But somehow 90 minutes of just moving upright using my legs for countless trips of the room taking tennis balls from one box and dropping them in another, with a bit of Peter Gabriel and I felt a million dollars.

And what did I learn from all of this?

Well, only want I've already experienced and taught to others a thousand times over, that all of this is in the head. Am I seeing any improvement, well if you'd have asked me before that 90 minutes of shuttle walking, you might well have got a firm 'Foxtrot Oscar' 

Afterwards? An endorphin laden, 'You bet, didn't you see my improved heel-to-toe and my left foot renewed toe-lift?' It's the first sign of any improvement as I only feel that recently I've felt I've been going backwards.

I'll let you know if I'm still on the up tomorrow...but for today, thanks to everyone that's making it start to happen for me...

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons, 241 Ultras, 9 Guinness World Records, 13 Marathon des Sables

No comments:

Post a Comment