Tuesday 30 August 2016

Close to the Edge - Yes

Lyrics:- 'For the crucifixion of her own domain' - Anderson & Howe

Song Choice:- 'Stress' has cropped up in a couple of conversations today, so I've chosen the perfect track to accompany my thoughts on the subject. Also, it was the first vinyl Album that I ever bought (£2.99 from WHSmiths in their January sale of 1979), so I've got a bit of a soft spot for the track if I'm being honest.

Anyway, here's a question of you. Are you 'Stressed' out? Somebody told me today that they were but I believe they are more a victim of their own doing, rather than a true victim of being 'Stressed' by things around them being out of their control. 

It might sound harsh, but I don't think it's 'Stress'. 

The dictionary and the NHS have quite a different point of view on the subject. 'Stress' as a noun is 'a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances', which sounds fair enough to me. The medical version is 'the feeling of being under too much mental or emotional pressure.' Which doesn't take in the adverse or demanding circumstances of the dictionary which I believe can turn anyone's 'mole hill into a mountain.' Being under pressure, is totally different IMO.

Now, I can't say I've struggled with 'Stress' myself, even during these past few months as I decided that it was a waste of my time and energy to get 'Stressed' about things that I couldn't control. I believe it's how I've managed to cope with whatever's come my way and also to get the best from my situation. Then again, I haven't got the 'Low Self-Esteem' the NHS version goes on to talk about that I believe is more the root of the 'Stress' problem, for most, well not for the last 22 years at least.

Beating ourselves up with addiction to drugs, booze, shopping, sex and over/under eating is just such a negative way of leading our lives.

Having the confidence to stand out, question, persevere and take on fresh ideas and concepts helps no-end in the battle for a 'Stress'-free existence. At the end of the day, whom are you living your life for? Your employer, family, friends? Or for YOURSELF?

Well it's time to change as no-one can save you from YOURSELF, better than YOU.

It's worth a good long look in the mirror. Write down what you don't like looking back at you and throw it away, it's SO SIMPLE and takes a couple of minutes. I did and you can too, if you want some help then let me know as it's tried and tested.

More tomorrow and stop beating yourself up over shit that doesn't matter. 

Still 'Close to the Edge?'

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 7.45 Miles Today, Stress-Free

No comments:

Post a Comment