Wednesday 31 August 2016

Do it again - Steely Dan

Lyrics:- 'And the mourners are all signin' as they drag you by your feet' - Becker & Fagan.

Song Choice:- I love the above line from the 1972 Steely Dan classic. It's a perfect song for today's blog as I'm speaking to a number of people about regaining their previous levels of fitness and achievement. Folk trying to 'Do it again'...

Anyway, being in the same boat, I can of course empathise with their cause. As Performance Coach, I'll help them in every way I can achieve their goal, however, like the lyrics say sometimes I feel I have to drag some people by their feet into getting out there investing their time and effort into making it happen. OK, I'm Mr. Motivated and understand that you only get out what you put in but what's the point in being half-arsed about something that can give your life, meaning, stability, friendship, adventure and challenge. Especially when they've been there before.

It's a real no-brainer for me to retrain and regain as much of my previous levels of fitness as soon as possible right now as I've lost the last five months of something I dearly love doing. When you've been at the top of your game, you feel invincible, nothing's too much trouble and the knowledge of being able to knock out a marathon, any where, any time, any place, any day is where I'm heading.

No one is forcing me, no one has suggested it, no one has challenged me. I just know I've got to be back there doing my thing, because that's what I do. No dragging required.

So why is it so difficult? I'm interested in what's stopping you getting back to where you once were. What excuse goes through your head that stops you being the person you want to be? What is it that's vampiring away your desire? As it's desire that drives success. Without desire, there's nothing.

Another well usedLombardi quote goes 'The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.' 

Are you on top of your mountain or like me, climbing hard?

More tomorrow.

Rory Coleman
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. The thing that is stopping me is that there is no cure for my illness. Each time I've tried to take steps towards doing what I love, my body lets me down. So the thing that is stopping me is out of my control

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete