Tuesday 2 August 2016

Rehab - Amy Winehouse

Rookwood Hospital, Llandaff
Lyric:- 'And it's not just my pride' - Winehouse

Song Choice:- As I head off to my own version of 'Rehab' at Rookwood Hospital in nearby Llandaff it's given me time to reflect on my four weeks spent here at University Hospital Wales, Cardiff.

Twenty-eight days doesn't sound like a long time but I'm a quantum-leap on down the 'Road of Recovery' from where I was back at the start of July. Back then,  I didn't realise just how desperate things were and how dangerous I'd become and it's amazing, in such a relatively short space of time, to be up and around on my own feet rather than being dead from the neck down and seriously ill.

I'm not saying I'm well now, but I feel like it's time to switch from the primary to secondary school levels of hospitals, get my bar raised and reassess my goals.

As Winehouse's lyrics say, my pride has taken the biggest bashing if I'm being honest My subsequent recovery is down to a fresh mindset as there's nothing quite like having a huge slice of humble pie to give you a good kick up the backside and the reality check that we all need from time to time.

A month at the School of Hard-Knocks, with the kindest nursing staff you could ever meet, makes for quite emotional parting but one of necessity and one I'm really happy about.

They tried to make me go to rehab - I said, 'Yes, yes, yes'

More tomorrow...

Rory Coleman™
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 9 Guinness World Records - 13 Marathon des Sables
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment