Sunday 24 March 2013

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin



'Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good'.

I could have chosen a 'MUD' song or 'Achilles Last Stand' as one would describe the terrain and the other one my battered heels on the first day of The Jurassic Coastal Challenge (JCC) on Friday. For this, my 760th Marathon, I'd hoped that this year's JCC would have been a complete replay of last year's heat wave run along the Rollercoaster Dorset Coastline and provide me with that final lift before the impending MdS but NO. Instead it was a brutal Somme like march along sloping, slippy, chocolate coated mud-fest of a nightmare that questioned my sanity on more than one occasion.

It's amazing how weather conditions can make such a difference to your race and how previous experience can affect ones judgment on what shoes to wear.

My thought pre-race thought processes made me think that the wide Adrenalins that I used on last year's JCC and MdS would be a good choice and with an ankle that's slightly dodgy still from a good twisting at Greensands, everything would be fine. Oh how I missed the Peregrines but funnily enough I got used to having NO grip.

Now, if you saw me at New Year's trying to Ice Skate, you'll know that I'm probably the WORST skater EVER... anyway,following 26 miles of the JCC, Torvill and Dean had better watch out as I only went over twice!

Where does this leave me in my MdS Prep? Well not as bad as I first thought as it only took me an hour longer in the dry and I still have a couple of weeks to get the mud out of my clothes!

More tomorrow...







No comments:

Post a Comment