Sunday 22 December 2013

These are the days of our lives - Queen


'Those were the days of our lives, the bad things in life were so few' - Mercury, May & Taylor

No doubt, I will look back at 2013 as one of 'THOSE' years of my life...I hope so as it's been one heck of a roller-coaster both for Jenny and myself. 

It didn't start off too well, as regular blog readers will remember, and it took a few months of hardship and hard training to get things back in order around June to get things rocking and rolling once again.

I don't know if I can put my finger on it but something magical happened and things just took off and 2013 felt more like 1996 and my performances reflected that I was back in the old groove again.

Looking back over my 20 years of running, maybe all those mega-day runs took more of a toll on me than I appreciated and recovery plays a far more important part of running than I gave it time for. Looking at the spectrum runners I meet and see on Facebook Pages, more than ever they say they are tired or have dropped out of races - from fatigue in my opinion both mentally and physically.

What 2014 has in store, well who knows...I hope I will be able to look back on it in future years and feel proud. I do this year and I'm trying to keep the impetus going for the next passage in my life as I want to enjoy my running for as long as possible 'cos as Freddie says, 'These are the days of our lives'...enjoy them folk, while you can.

More tomorrow and I'm on BBC 5 Live tonight at 8.30pm...



No comments:

Post a Comment