Sunday 12 April 2015

Don't give up - Peter Gabriel

Lyric:- You're not beaten yet - Gabriel

Song Choice:- I listened to this during the 56 mile long stage and the lyrics fit my emotions today as I try to take in covering 156 miles of the Marathon des Sables with Sir Ranulph Fiennes, as this year's race has all been about him and not me.

Everyone taking part has their own reason for entering the race and have their own race expectations, just like I've had in my 11 previous events only this year I've been extremely fortunate to share my entire race with the incredible Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

And incredible he is on so many fronts...mostly because he's so humble, approachable and loveable. I've laughed so much at his extremely dry sense of humour and heard all of his life stories first hand. Talk about hair-raising...

Most of all, I witnessed first-hand how he kept-on going despite being completely broken, in constant, life-threatening pain when others I the race far younger, in far less discomfort threw in the towel.

This MdS will be the 'Sir Ranulph' year for me and one I will always treasure. Playing a part in his life history is a real privilege and we've ended up being such good friends along the way.

Everything you've ever read about him or heard about him is true. If you need inspiration he's the man and if I can do MdS at 71 years of age, like he can...I'll be a happy man.

Did I think he'd ever give up? Of course not, he's Sir Ranulph Fiennes...

Rory Coleman - 899 Marathons - 232 Ultras
12 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 21 Years' Alcohol Free.
Location:Quarzazate

No comments:

Post a Comment