Friday 13 May 2016

World in Motion - New Order

Lyric:- 'Now is the time, let everyone see, you never give up, that's how it should be' - Allen, Sumner, Hook, Morris & Gilbert

Song Choice:- Well, this was an easy choice of song today as it's the well-known lyric from the 1990 England World Cup Song, World in Motion. It speaks volumes about 'Confidence', yes 'Confidence' and what's due from you when you are 'Full-of-It' and then what happens when the 'It' goes and hits the fan, like it has for me recently.

My week-long stay (so far) at The University of Wales Hospital, being treated for 'Guillain-Barre Syndrome', has only gone on to underline to me that my confidence in being a pretty bomb-proofed older typed athlete has come into question and that it will take some time to get my head around the process of all all that's happened to the deterioration  in my health and running since March 21st. I delivered an Average2Awesome Day in London to DixonsCarphone that day and felt destroyed for no reason at all. That, was the start of it all I believe and it puts me about seven weeks into the GBS timeline and hopefully means that I’ve passed the lowest point of the illness itself.

There’s lot of theories, too many marathons, not enough sleep - there are always people whom will play the ‘Wear and Tear Energy Vampires Card, telling me that I’m over the hill and they could be right as and even I noticed a few years ago, that a lot of male runners, around the 55-56 mark, just seem to give up long distance running for good and are never heard of again. Seems a shame to give up after building up all that endurance and I don’t want to stop at 56 as A) I’m nearly there already and B) There’s still so much I want to do, running. Getting the 'World in Motion' BTW, isn't as hard as ‘Keeping the World in Motion’ and if you want to do that, you'll need a lot of help there I'm afraid. 

On a much lower key, I've decided to get my world back into motion today and that will take courage and I'll need a lot of outside help for sure as I try to get back to my old self. I could have penned the Duran Duran lyrics above, myself – ‘Now is the time, let everyone see, you never give up, that's how it should be' as it's in pure ‘Coleman-Suck-it-up-Buttercup-Mentality’ for sure. You have to be firm and fair, in my game but maybe I'm going to add a drop of compassion in to my days and see how that helps folk along too.

One thing I do know for sure is that there's a lot of pretty ‘broken’ people, just like me out there, trying to recover from their own particular ‘brand of Guillain-Barre Syndrome' - My mission is to use this period of time for rest, realisation and research, that will hopefully take my career and personal development to the next level. 

More tomorrow… and get the most out of today - PLEASE!

Rory Coleman - Performance Coach 
976 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 8163 Days' Alcohol Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment