Monday 7 November 2016

The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel

Quote:- 'If you're not ready to fight, the silence will kill you. Don't let fear keep you quiet. You have a voice. So use it. Speak up. Raise your hands. Shout your answers. Make yourself heard. Whatever it takes. Just find your voice and when you do, fill the damn silence' - Meredith Grey

Rather than go for the more obvious 'People talking without speaking, People hearing without listening' line from the Simon & Garfunkel classic used in the 1967 Oscar winning film 'The Graduate'; I thought I'd tap into a quote from 'Grey's Anatomy' which struck a chord with me after my posting of some very open ended blogs over the last few days.

I'm not very sure where I'm going with some of this still but I do know that when I'm being challenged, I have a very clear voice, know my facts and am quite happy to air my thoughts. 

It's interesting as lots of people have developed 'Opinion Laryngitis', especially now that social media plays such an important part of our modern day lives. I believe a lot of opinion is based on experience and if you look at the complete spectrum of advice given to folk that have had Guillain Barre Syndrome by their Doctors' you'll understand exactly where I'm coming from as if you haven't been there yourself, how can you have a worthy and justifiable opinion of any worth. The only 'Sound in the Silence' worth listening to, is your own inner voice and your experience.

Sure, I can take onboard the stories and advice from GBS Facebook Support Groups and the like but they are just as ignorant about the journey as I am. I can 'Google' GBS clinical trials and read endless books on the subject but they're not going to help me become 'Drug and GBS Relapse Free'.

I have to do that myself as no-one else is going to do it for me.

So, I'll keep raising my hand, speaking loud and filling the 'Sound of Silence' as that's what it's their for.

Have you lost your voice?

Rory Coleman
977 Marathons - 241 Ultras - 13 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
www.RoryColeman.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment