Sunday 15 March 2015

Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads

Lyric:- And you may find yourself in another part of the World - Byrne et Al

Song Choice:- I bought this in 1980 when I was at Art School and have loved it ever since - it's been a kind of mantra for me as I always say you are only here once and that we have to make our mark on this world as we'll all be long forgotten when we are gone.

It's Twelve times in a Lifetime for me actually at this year's Marathon des Sables and I'm just as apprehensive as those going for their 'Once' (and if not apprehensive they are in complete denial) as this year the Sahara is going to eat everyone up and spit our what little is left of us after a colossal 260kms of desert torture.

With this in mind my 5:10 that's marathons in days has got off to a great start. 26.2 miles with Mark Wynn in the sand of Merthyr Mawr preluded yesterday's Spring Shakespeare at Long Marston Airfield near Stratford-upon-Avon the former exactly 26.2 miles the latter a rather disappointing long 26.7 miles. (My Withings making it even further at 30.43 miles!).

However the elongated Tarmac outing did give me the opportunity of fully road-testing a pair of Brooks Adrenalin GTS 4E bad boys similar to the ones I'm using in Morocco this year and I can report that I just love 'em. I just hope they are wide enough for 62.14 miles of sand as the long day is longer than ever on this 30th running of the event.

'Same as it ever was' at the MdS in three weeks it certainly isn't - The amps have gone up to 12! I've got three more marathons to whack in at this week's Jurassic Coastal Challenge to keep my count going to hit my 900th marathon on the 42.2km day on 10th April.

I'm feeling strong after this weekend but nothing is a certainty even for me and for all those 'Onces' please be careful out there. It's going to be brutal!

Rory Coleman - Performance Coach
894 Marathons - 231 Ultras
11 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records
21 Years' Alcohol Free.
Location:Cardiff

No comments:

Post a Comment