Wednesday 12 March 2014

Agent Provocateur - Red Tape

'Bend a little' - Gosling

On a day when Dustmen can't deliver replacement recycling bin-bags as it's against their health and safety policy (just one example of daftness I've encountered today) it feels like I'm drowning in a sea of Red Tape.

The 'Computer definitely said No' on far too many occasions for me today. Imagine if our Health and Safety Executives were wheeled into the middle of the Marathon des Sables... Well there wouldn't be a race would there. Or Men on the Summit of Everest, Stood at the South Pole or on the Surface of the Moon for that matter too.

Where did it all go wrong? - When did we loose our sense of adventure and things get so scary we had to wrap everything up in bubble wrap and paint it with Day-glow paint, in Full Overalls in Safety Masks, wearing goggles after a two week course in paint spraying following a full day of first-aid training. People really worry about putting their name to their opinion and it drives me nuts. People ask me for my opinion everyday and I give it without a disclaimer!

Thing is I've managed to get to 52 quite nicely without heeding too many warning signs such as recent ones I've seen such as, coffee-cup with 'caution contents hot' and peanuts with 'caution pack contains nuts' on them because I KNOW THAT ALREADY. 

Luckily I've worked this out for myself in a trial and error method perfected over many years I've picked up from EXPERIENCE. Yes a term lacking more now than ever in our busy and hectic old lives...

Thing is by now I know what the inherent dangers of most things in life are and I've managed to get this far quite nicely and if I want to go and kill myself running huge distances in sand then it's ok - I'm quite happy and I know the risks. Running in a hi-viz vest ain't gonna help me much out there!.

Life's for living and adventure comes at a price - and I'm fully aware of what that is.

Next time 'the computer says no', just do it anyway. You'll probably survive, I do.

More tomorrow and I'm off to cool down...

No comments:

Post a Comment