Monday 11 November 2013

The Cage - The Almighty Genesis

Watch out for low-flying Motorbikes
And the childhood belief, brings a moment's relief - Gabriel

Now you will like this if you've never won a race or ever will as until yesterday I hadn't. Oh yes, I've done lots of running feats and yes I've been the 'Best in the World' according to Guinness, 9 times but never in 820 marathons have I ever won a trophy, including my 3rd in the Grand Union Canal Race 145 back in 1999 when it was considered a bit pansyish to get a trophy for such an ULTRA-test of endurance.

Anyway, Neil Thubron has it just right at Druid as he has a Winner's Category for the SV50 Category ..yep a trophy for the older gent, like me, and I finally found what it felt to be a winner. It must become a pest if you are always winning every race and have trophies galore but I've placed mine in pride on the mantelpiece in our lounge. 

It's looks lonely up there but who cares as eh? I've got ONE and that's good enough for me...

Actually, I felt on form all weekend and after speaking on Saturday Evening to the runners taking part at the weekend, some of my own medicine must have paid off. Running the hills and smashing it out in the endless mud makes a huge difference to your time. I managed sub 15 hrs for the three days combined so I'm well pleased.

Maybe it's time to reset my horizons...

More tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive Rory. Goes to show that you're never to old to be a winner.

    ReplyDelete