Thursday 16 July 2015

Witch Hunt - Rush

Lyrics:- 'Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand' - Lee, Lifeson & Peart.

Song Choice - It's the penultimate track from my series of blogs from the 1981 Rush Album, Moving Pictures.

If you read the lyrics, I'm sure we have all felt that we've been part of a witch hunt at one time or another or have been part of the pack looking for victim's blood. Those in the world of professional Athletics and Cycling will know exactly how a Witch Hunt feels I'm sure...it's amazing in the UK how much we make such instant decisions and follow the crowd.

Understanding is a Vital Part of our daily communication set of skills and we often read things into short emails, known for their curtness, that simply haven't been written or even inferred. I recently did a visual test with 20 items projected onto a screen and then asked questions about what I'd seen. It was amazing what I'd missed and the difference of what I saw against what the other people had. Our 30 second opportunity to take in the visual information proved to be just a general snap shot of what was actually in the picture.

Asked what time it was on the watch...Well I didn't even see the bloody watch! We see what we want to see and hear what we want to hear. 

Don't be surprised, it's ingrained into our DNA from primeval times - however Witch-Hunts on Facebook etc. is only a recent phenomena. So maybe be Slow to Judge, Slow to Anger and Quick to Understand in the future...

More tomorrow my lovelies...we've nearly made it to Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment