Thursday 18 February 2016

Solid Rock - Delirious?

Lyric:- 'The solid rock we will' - Delirious?

Song Choice:- 'Solid Rock' was my instant choice following a run out on the coast at Sully near our World Famous Dinosaur Footprints earlier this week...

The song is tremendous and it's the small edit of the lyrics above that gets my sap rising. The song is about God, of course, and He's the rock in the song BUT if you take the 'Rock' idea as more of a 'Foundation' for life and wtf you are doing with it, I'd be interested to know is what would you build on your mythological 'Rock' if you were given one.

What would your 'Rock' look like? Would it be a massive granite block? Would it be a polished marble plinth? Or would it be an ordinary block of stone on a beach covered in seaweed and algae that no-one would ever pick out as being extra-special enough to choose at all?

It's an interesting thought as I believe we all spend a huge amount of time looking for a perfectly formed 'Rock' to build our very existence on and because we are so busy looking we never quite find what we are looking for or we choose one that looks great but is in fact a completely unstable platform.

It's something I'm becoming more and more conscious of as I get older and I'm very careful nowadays which 'Rock' I choose and what I intend to do on it. 

Above was my 'Rock'. It was nothing special - but it was a safe and supportive place for just a moment.

How are your Foundations?

Rory Coleman
964 Marathons - 240 Ultras - 12 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records

No comments:

Post a Comment