Tuesday 2 February 2016

Ripples - Genesis





Lyric:- 'Sail away, away, ripples never come back' - Rutherford & Banks.

Song Choice:- It's unusual to choose a non-Collins-penned Genesis sing to celebrate Phil's 65th Birthday on the 30th January but it's a great track. My God, Phil Collin's is a bloody pensioner! As is Sir Peter of Gabriel, David Gilmour and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd and on top of that Frank Finlay and Sir Terry Wogan joined the 2016 Celebrity Dead list over the weekend.

What the heck is going on in Celebrity World, it makes you consider your own mortality especially as I hit the dizzy age of 54 on Saturday.

I did a lot of such thinking about my talk in Luddington Village Hall on Saturday Night and the trip back to where I lived until my early twenties brought back many such memory ripples back to me. Seeing the houses where I'd lived and meeting some of the people I'd known as a child and being in the Village Hall scene of the 'The Silver Jubilee Dance' with Penny Boswell (Ah I was too young at 14 as she was 16, what a heartbreaker and I bet she doesn't remember). 

Anyway speaking about my life since gave me a real sense of pride.

A pride not of being perfect, I'm far from it, but a pride with a sense of just being happy about being whom I now am, what I've achieved and also about what I hope to in the future.

And that for me is ok. 

Yes I'm sad that EVERYONE is getting older, just look at Phil. He was a mere 27 when I saw him at Knebworth with Genesis in 1978, when I was 16...(then, he was as old as my eldest daughter is now!) 

Boy those Ripples certainly don't come back and they are more like Tsunami's. Maybe it's time to get 'Life's surfboard' out and ride the waves and make the most of it.

What do you think? Are YOU ready for a the ride of a lifetime or are you too busy just trying to keep afloat?

More tomorrow...

#DryforLife

Also, my blog is up for the National Adventure Awards, so please vote for me here

Rory Coleman - 961 Marathons - 239 Ultras
12 Marathon des Sables - 9 Guinness World Records - 8062 Days' Alcohol Free.



No comments:

Post a Comment