Sunday 7 July 2013

Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant

'We don't follow fashion, that would be a joke' - Pirroni/Ant

I spoke at an ULTRA-running Expo yesterday and I really enjoyed speaking to an audience of runners most of whom were starting out on their ULTRA-marathon running career. The theme of my talk was to highlight some of the ULTRA-myths that people get suckered into about running long distances, such as never warming up and running hard for the first half of a race and walking the rest...hopefully the delegates enjoyed my talk BUT, the interesting thing to me was what people were putting on their feet.


By now, if you read my blog regularly you will know which trainers I recommend and why...my opinions have been gained from running 755 marathons, 43 of which were consecutive 50kms in 43 days from London to Lisbon where if I had been in Asics trainers for instance, in my opinion, I wouldn't have got out of France. This theory is underlined by runners taking on the 868 mile John o'Groats to Land's End where they suffered terrible, forefoot blisters and Anterior Compartment Syndrome. It's amazing to me that people buy them?


I know the only reason I managed to get the 1275 miles to Lisbon with my feet 100% was by wearing Saucony Shoes, some days different types to allow for the camber of the road. I know the reason I can finish MdS without blisters is because of my Brooks trainers, they are ideal for the race and my clients who wear them also enjoy their benefits. My professional daily contact with runners allows me to congregate running injuries and shoe brands into groups whereby I can help people reduce the possibilities of future problems by encouraging them not to use certain brands of shoes.


It's not popular with the Hoka wearers especially BUT there IS an increased chance of getting Prepatellar bursitis (aka Runner's Knee) if you wear them on really long runs...ask Hoka. I've met lots of runners who fit into this group. The funny thing is I have to try and persuade people who have them not to use them. You'd think with my experience and with it being my JOB people would listen.


I could comment on all of the shoe brands, I know what's good, what isn't and I recommend the best shoe to meet my clients needs. Knowing what to put on your feet is a VITAL part of running ULTRAs - I found out the hard way...if you want to know what to wear and why I think what I think about trainers, come and see me...


More tomorrow...





No comments:

Post a Comment