Sunday 28 June 2015

Steam - Peter Gabriel

Lyric:- 'Picking up this heat, this heat' - Peter Gabriel

Song Choice:- One of my all-time Gabriel Favourites and being in the heat of Madeira right now, this feels more than apt as I write tonight.

We think we have a few mountains in Wales and we do, but nothing like the Bad Boys out here on the exquisite island of Madeira. At 1862m Pico Ruivo, the islands highest point is quite runnable the organisers of the MIUT (Madeira Island Ultra-Tour) told me yesterday at my evening talk to their running club and again, very proudly at our hill session in Machico this morning. They can certainly run their hills!

The thing I really like about them is that they are so welcoming and delighted that we’ve come to experience their trails first-hand. I'm out first thing tomorrow trying some rather less severe gradients to get acclimatised to the sheer stifling humidity of nearly 100% I'm told on some days. Put it this way, the mountains are engulfed in Steamy Clouds at various times of the day making it very muggy but it's also really easy to get sunburned too when the sun shines.

I've been baited to run MIUT just a week after MdS next year - I wonder how my knees would like the 6800M+ over the 115km? Hmm.


I'll know more tomorrow after my first run perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment